'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
living quarter floors

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-11-05 6:30 AM
5 replies, 6642 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

jamesschwalbach
Reg. Nov 2007
Posted 2007-11-03 6:43 PM (#70445)
Subject: living quarter floors

New User

I am in the process of deciding on floor for living quarters, I want hardwood but everyone tells me it can not handle the extremes of a wisconsin winter storage to summer heat.  I thought it would be best to put in floor and build all on top but that also does not seem to be an  option.

If you have tips or ideas please send me an email james.schwalbach@hotmail.com

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2007-11-04 6:49 AM (#70453 - in reply to #70445)
Subject: RE: living quarter floors

Expert

There have been many previous postings of floor coverings for lq trailers. Most wooden floor manufs specify a vapor barrier of felt paper or a thin foam backing over a properly prepared subfloor. However, several of these HTW trailer owners have installed flooring over various materials including carpeting and rubber mats will apparently no ill affects.

The interlocking flooring is the easiest to use, with no glueing to itself or mechanically affixed to the floor. One of the previous postings included a description on how several flooring samples were soaked in water overnight to determine the best product. This would seem to be an absolute test of suitability in a moist environment.

The products are relatively inexpensive and easily replaced, so long term wear isn't as important an issue when compared to an installation in your house. The concensus of previous discussions, was to just do it and see if you like it. Most were very pleased with the results.

BOL  Gard

Hank
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2007-11-04 2:31 PM (#70458 - in reply to #70445)

Veteran

I think a little clarification is needed.  I believe gard is talking about laminate (Pergo type) flooring, not true wood flooring.  I highly recommend laminate flooring.  And as gard said, there are many other posts on this forum about it.  As far as buliding on top of it, I assume you mean setting your cabinets on it.  This I would not recommend.  With laminate being a floating floor, it needs to be free to contract/expand as the weather and temperatures will dictate.  Proper spacing is needed along the walls and along the cabinets to allow for this.  It is super easy to work with and the cost is relatively low, and it's a breeze to clean.

I installed maple-look laminate flooring in our trailer over three years ago and have not had one problem.  And it's seen some nasty conditions here in NE Wisconsin.  The only downside is that it is cold on the toesies on those cool mornings, but nothing a throw rug can't cure.

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2007-11-04 3:05 PM (#70460 - in reply to #70445)

Expert

Thanks Hank. With your help I might be able to get my ideas properly explained. I have used a manufactured wood laminate with the interlocking feature. While I can't remember the brand name, it was purchased from Lowes. It could not be placed over any rubber mats or uneven flooring as the joints would fail and split the pieces. The pergo Hank mentioned would be more apropos in a trailer environment.

If you are considering covering an entire floor, I assume you have a bare metal floor now. It is an easy matter to put down a layer of plywood to cover everything, install your cabinets on top and as Hank stated, install the flooring leaving a gap at the edges to allow for the expansion and contraction. A quarter round molding will cover this gap and dress things up a bit. This would also give you a slight insulating factor. A better way is to install sleepers and insulation and then your flooring. The total height would only have to be about 1 1/2" high.

BOL  Gard

jamesschwalbach
Reg. Nov 2007
Posted 2007-11-04 5:07 PM (#70464 - in reply to #70445)

New User

Clarification is needed. I have insulated and installed 3/4 plywood. Is 13 foot living quarters. On the top I put carpeting and then screwed the bed and cabinetry over top like the camper I took apart for pieces to finish this trailer. Now I want to install a floor in the lower area. In the camper I dissassembled to get parts(was cheaper to use a good used camper than it was to buy all the parts) the floor was put down and everything installed on top of that. I have come to realize that I want a hardwood or laminate floor and that I need to put everything in and then put the floor in so it "Floats". This will make it much harder but can be done. Now the ultimate question.. Which brand of flooring? Most say they need to acclimate so that tells me that they move around alot in temperature variances. Menards has one advertised by Armstrong, Bruce laminates and they say they do not need to acclimate. This seems like the better option as temp must not cause great differences? just want to do it right! Thanks in advance.
Hank
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2007-11-05 6:30 AM (#70490 - in reply to #70445)

Veteran

Yes, it moves (expands/contracts), but not too much.  Acclimating it is best for any flooring: laminate, real hardwood, even vinyl.  I bought the clearance stuff at Menards - figured what the heck, I'm not out a ton of money if it goes to hell.  My only worry was that it may cup, as the cheaper brands are more apt to do.  But as I said, we've never had a problem.  Even had a rain storm come thru the screen door and the floor sat wet for a day - no problems.  I say go for it.  The cost is minimal, it looks better than vinyl and is easier to work with if you have simple tools.  Cutting can be tricky with a skill saw as every cut must be done with the laminate upside down (this was problem for me) to eleminate face chipping, but that's only for the slant wall.  If you have a slider mitre saw this problem is solved.  Most other cuts around your cabinets and other obstacles will be done with a jig saw.  Leave a space, cover that space with 1/4 round or whatever works for ya.  Nail the trim to wall or cabinet, not the flooring.  That'll hide any imperfections in your cutting job.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)