'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Trailer repair quetion(s)

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-10-30 11:56 AM
5 replies, 3505 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

qhfan2
Reg. Oct 2007
Posted 2007-10-29 2:15 PM (#70165)
Subject: Trailer repair quetion(s)

Hi,
I found a used 2004 Featherlite 2 horse straight load w/ramp for a great price.  The reason the price is right is due to the fact that the previous owner did not hitch the trailer properly and the trailer came off the truck and landed on it's side.  The horse was OK and it was at a low rate of speed.  The only damage was to the front corner where it scuffed it and there is an ever so slight leak (about the size of a penhole).  My husband checked it out to make sure it was mechanicaly sound and it is.  The damage is only cosmetic and with a few caulk guns we can seal it up.  The current owner bought the aluminum corner piece to fix it for cosmetic purposes.  Is there anything else I need to check on this trailer?  It pulls straight and the tires do not show uneven tread wear.  Any thoughts, questions, suggestions are appreciated.  Thanks!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
headhunter
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2007-10-29 2:32 PM (#70166 - in reply to #70165)
Subject: RE: Trailer repair quetion(s)

Elite Veteran

I would check to see if the frame or axles got bent in the accident or in getting it upright again.   I would call a body shop with the laser frame alignment system and see if they can check the frame out for you.  Not sure how to check the axles but a body shop or trailer dealer might be able to tell you. 

I had a car slide in snow at a very slow speed, and smacked sideways into a curb.  I didn't think it was that big a deal, but a wheel was cracked so I had it towed to a tire shop to replace the wheel and relign it.  They thought the frame might be bent and had me tow it to a body shop.  Talked to my insurance company, and a bent frame would have totaled my car.  Vehicles aren't designed for that kind of impact and I am concerned you might have the same type of damage.  

Edited by headhunter 2007-10-29 2:35 PM
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2007-10-29 3:41 PM (#70169 - in reply to #70165)

Expert

If the trailer visually looks straight, the body probably will not be an issue. You can do a quick check of the straightness of the frame by visually sighting along both sides of its length from underneath.

The most important issue is the location of the axles. Their correct alignment to the frame is critical and as headhunter described, should be checked with someone familiar with wheel alignment issues. You want to check a frame shop, not a wheel alignment shop.

If the axles are not exactly perpendicular to the frame, the trailer will not track properly, and the tire wear will be problematic. The frame shop will compare diagional measurements and can check the entire frame for any broken welds or damaged areas. Chances are if it was an easy roll, there will little or no damage underneath. However, the accident could have twisted the whole trailer which the shop will also check.

The frame shop's fee will be money well spent.

BOL  Gard

qhfan2
Reg. Oct 2007
Posted 2007-10-30 10:10 AM (#70213 - in reply to #70165)

I really appreciate the feedback.  Considering the price of the trailer, even if I spent a few hundred at an alignmnet shop it will be $$ well spent.  I appreciate the feedback regarding next steps and will try to get this done soon.  Thank you for the feedback! Oh, one other question!  If I were to do some cosmetic repairs to the aluminum skin I was told I would need someone who does TIG welding.  Has anyone had any repairs done on their trailers? (i.e. aluminum skin?)  If so, what kind of $$ would I be looking at? I know it would be different depending on the region I live. 
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2007-10-30 10:41 AM (#70215 - in reply to #70165)

Expert

You need to contact a welder with aluminum qualifications. Most charge by the hour and should be able to give you a guestimate quote before he starts. Ask to see a sample of his work, or another customer to whom you may speak.

The welder must be competent or he can really mess up the job. An experienced person can duplicate a factory weld and make the job look easy.

Try to find the right person...... first

BOL  Gard

headhunter
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2007-10-30 11:56 AM (#70222 - in reply to #70213)

Elite Veteran

Just to be clear, you need to have the frame and axle placement checked out at a body shop, not a tire store that does wheel alignment.  Aligning the wheels is not the same as aligning the axles.

Originally written by qhfan2 on 2007-10-30 8:10 AM

I really appreciate the feedback.  Considering the price of the trailer, even if I spent a few hundred at an alignmnet shop it will be $$ well spent.  I appreciate the feedback regarding next steps and will try to get this done soon.  Thank you for the feedback! Oh, one other question!  If I were to do some cosmetic repairs to the aluminum skin I was told I would need someone who does TIG welding.  Has anyone had any repairs done on their trailers? (i.e. aluminum skin?)  If so, what kind of $$ would I be looking at? I know it would be different depending on the region I live. 

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)