'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
all-aluminum vs. steel frame/aluminum skin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-08-07 6:13 PM
5 replies, 3991 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

leekirk711w
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2007-08-07 1:35 PM (#65332)
Subject: all-aluminum vs. steel frame/aluminum skin

Which is best (safest and most durable), for 2H GN with DR for two large horses?
I have a big enough truck that trailer weight is not a factor.

I have an older steel frame/aluminum skin trailer that has worked well for me. No experience with all-aluminum.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2007-08-07 3:45 PM (#65340 - in reply to #65332)
Subject: RE: all-aluminum vs. steel frame/aluminum skin

Expert

I have owned both and cannot tell you if one is really safer than the other. Both served me well. Both hauled well but the all aluminum isn't rusting which in our climate was a concern for me. I wanted a solid trailer than wasn't going to rust ( winter salt,mositure and I store it outside) I chose an Exiss ( because it was what i could afford and had what I wanted not strictly because of make), its been great. My experience has been this- most trailers are safe and reliable but the difference will be what comforts you can afford.

HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2007-08-07 4:08 PM (#65343 - in reply to #65340)

Expert

Babe is right, couple things I would consider also is do you plan on keeping the trailer for a long time and what conditions is it going to see. The cowboys in west Tx. NM, and Arizona seem to only have steel trailers and they arn't the nicest bunch on a trailer. Most what I see coming out of the northeast is always alumunum.
Rich M.
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2007-08-07 4:13 PM (#65344 - in reply to #65332)

Veteran

It depends. One has to be mindful that each construction material has it's strengths and weaknesses and neither is maintenance free. Best thing to do is decide what the max you can afford is and buy in that range. Everyone builds a lemon periodically but you pretty much get what you pay for. The weight issue steel vs aluminum vs composite is highly dependant on the construction of the particular brand. Personally I like steel ( galvaneal) maybe I just have this idea it's stronger and will take more impact, but honestly one needs to keep after them with waxing and keeping up on stone chips and the like.Ideally a steel trailer holds up alot better shedded. Rich
leekirk711w
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2007-08-07 5:50 PM (#65349 - in reply to #65332)

I do plan to keep the trailer for a long time. It will be stored outside.

My old trailer, which is steel frame/aluminum skin/wood floor is 20 years old and is still a solid usable trailer. I expect to get 20 years from the next one.
jmprgirl
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-08-07 6:13 PM (#65352 - in reply to #65332)

(IMHO)Steel is 3 times stronger than aluminum pound for pound, and much heaver. Aluminum won't rust (but it will oxide). Steel bends before it breaks, aluminum breaks before it bends. I like the aluminum over steel for those reasons. There are lots of trailers built this way and they get different results depending on how they are designed. The Galvanized trailers work well. They will rust but not as much, their welds are subject to rusting and it adds weight to the steel.Any place exposed steel has a screw or rivit put in it weather it is galvanized or painted it will eventually run rust out. Weight is a factor and as fuel goes up its more of a factor. If the trailer is designed with aluminum where the weather or the horses can ge to it. and the steel underneath for strength I think that is how it should be done. Like the Sundowner or the Merhow. Can't find the steel you would think they are all aluminum trailers.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)