'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
How to check for a short in the wiring

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-05-15 5:19 AM
5 replies, 2993 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

barstow
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-05-07 5:26 PM (#60530)
Subject: How to check for a short in the wiring

Veteran

I saw in a recent thread about a horse's sudden aversion to loading may be the result of a wire shorting out and perhaps giving the horse a shock? Could that really happen, and if so, how would one go about checking to see if that is the problem.

Checking into this for a friend who's having a problem. Nothing is wrong with my new trailer!

Thanks.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
jdzaharia
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2007-05-08 8:55 AM (#60555 - in reply to #60530)
Subject: RE: How to check for a short in the wiring

Extreme Veteran

I don't see how this could happen. If there was a short in one of the lighting or brake wires, the current would be grounded out by the trailer itself being grounded, not a horse or person. If, by chance, there was a short, and the trailer was not properly grounded, I don't think 12 volts would ground itself through a horse. Plus, for this all to be even possible, either the lights or brakes would not be working properly, so it should be fixed before you load and haul a horse anyway.
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-05-08 2:56 PM (#60572 - in reply to #60530)

Expert

Originally written by barstow on 2007-05-07 5:26 PM

I saw in a recent thread about a horse's sudden aversion to loading may be the result of a wire shorting out and perhaps giving the horse a shock? Could that really happen, and if so, how would one go about checking to see if that is the problem.

Checking into this for a friend who's having a problem. Nothing is wrong with my new trailer!

Thanks.

HEY !
PLEASED to hear that there is nothing wrong with your new trailer (-:
Sounds like you got it home OK and are ENJOYING it.

With things like this; a) Check (the credibility of) the source.
I didn't see that thread, or if I did I probably forgot it REAL quick.
It is possible to feel 14 or 15 volts, I've experienced it when launching boats but only when standing IN water - - it is hardly a SHOCK.

A possibility is that the trailer (& truck) had generated a static charge while rolling and the horse grounded THAT. If you've ever slid off a car seat cover in dry February and got a zap off the door handle ? Yeah, THAT sort of static discharge.

So I guess for item b) Check for seasonal low humidity.

Edited by Reg 2007-05-08 3:13 PM
barstow
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-05-09 5:03 AM (#60598 - in reply to #60530)

Veteran

My guess is it's not seasonal low-humidity, we are in the midst of mud season here!

The previous thread didn't go into any detail about the possibility of the trailer's wiring causing a shock. the person just mentioned that he/she had "heard' about that happening before.

In retrospect, I am willing to bet it's a behavioral problem.  I just thought if it was an easy thing to check (I dunno, like using my fence tester?) that we could rule out "equipment."

SLICKRNSNOT
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2007-05-14 9:18 PM (#60770 - in reply to #60530)

Elite Veteran

Get out there in your bare feet and dump some water on the ground, then stick your toung on the trailer.

If there is any sort of a short you will know it.But I have never been "shocked" by 12 volts.Shorted out a wire and got singed but not shocked.

Send this one to Mythbusters!!!

barstow
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-05-15 5:19 AM (#60778 - in reply to #60770)

Veteran

ummm, I think I will take your word on it! I don't want the neighbors to call the mental health services on me! Hey, I read the post here - I didn't make it up...
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)