'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Tack Room liner question

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-12-10 7:42 AM
5 replies, 5817 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

cowgirl98034
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2006-12-03 10:24 PM (#52156)
Subject: Tack Room liner question

Extreme Veteran

I am trying to figure out how to eliminate condensation in the tack and sleeping area of my steel gooseneck trailer. I have gotten feedback and suggestions about how to insulate this area (thanks!) .  After thinking about it, I had another idea. How about if I stripped the tack room completely and had it sprayed with a bedliner like Line-X, the truck bedliner; would that provide the insulation the trailer needs to prevent condensation. Line-X is quite resistant to fluctuations in temperature, and durable... preventing condensation is the main goal here, not too worried about insulating the trailer unless that is the only way to prevent condensation. Anybody use the spray on bedliners on their trailers?

Edited by cowgirl98034 2006-12-03 10:27 PM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2006-12-04 8:31 AM (#52165 - in reply to #52156)
Subject: RE: Tack Room liner question

Expert

In order to stop the condensation/ You need insulation. Condensation comes from warmer moist air contacting a colder surface.

If the LineX or Rhino Liner provides the insualtion. Then yes it will work. Check and see what the "R" value of Line X is for a typical application.  The typical 1/4" thick LineX I've seen probably doesn't offer substantial R value.

horsin around
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2006-12-05 6:56 PM (#52227 - in reply to #52156)

Extreme Veteran

I'm having the same dilema with my tack compartment and it's caused rust.  I'm having my trailer sandblasted and repainted and also having the same done inside the tack area. 

Lookin for ideas on how to prevent the moisture causing the rust.  Even wondered if I put some kind of vent in if that'd help.

What thread should I inquire on to see what suggestions you had about insulating the tack area?  Thanks!

cowgirl98034
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2006-12-07 9:25 AM (#52266 - in reply to #52227)

Extreme Veteran

I found this information on the "It's Cold!" thread, from houndog...

I used R/MAX insulation bought at Home Depot or Lowes on our steel trailer with 6 foot short wall dressing room.It had vinal on one side and what looked like alumn foil on the other.Its used on homes before vinal siding is installed.I glued it on with a Tough As Nails product in a caulk gun.On front of nose it can be scored and snapped to fit around the curve.I glued the vinal side down.Then bought a on sale carpet with RUBBER backing and used a spay glue so it could be moved around for good fit.Did walls,roof,gooseneck floor area etc.with a straight edge,razor knife,ruler it took wife and I two complete weekends to do.In 30 degree weather or less in the morning could take a small propane heater sitting on a upside down water bucket and have it in high 50s to mid 60s in 10 minutes or so.A cheap mattress,good covers,warm it up good and then turn in.Manage to stay snug until morning and then warm it up again.Its been installed since 1995 and other a couple of minor puckered areas that had to be reglued.

horsin around
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2006-12-10 5:17 AM (#52385 - in reply to #52156)

Extreme Veteran

Thanks for the information! 

I've called the manufacturer of the trailer and they've asked me to send them pictures and then they can give me some ideas so hopefully they'll have some good ones.

Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2006-12-10 7:42 AM (#52390 - in reply to #52385)

Expert

Look at where the moisture is coming from and see if you can reduce or elminate the moisture.

Do you have condensation only when you sleep in the trailer.  Only when you run your heater, or do you have condesation ALL the time.

If you live in a very humid climate, you have a much harder battle. As outside here you let in for ventelation renews the humidity. And thereis very little you cando to remove the humidity from the trailer. So you are just left with minimizing the condensation.

Propane heaters in particular release moisture into the air as they burn. So if you are using a propane heater, you want to make sure the exhaust gases are vented outside the trailer. Most built in forced air heaters do this. But your carry around heaters, Like a Heater Buddy or Catalytic heater don't exhaust those gases.

Built in forced air heaters will help. As they dry the air as they heat it. Thats why we install so many Humidiifiers on Furnaces in my area of the country. We have so little humidity to strart with, that after running the furnace, there is no moisture in the air and your skin dries out and gets itchy.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)