'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
B&W Hide a Ball -- How Do You Lock It?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-08-05 11:13 AM
5 replies, 3540 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

barry
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2006-08-02 6:46 AM (#45862)
Subject: B&W Hide a Ball -- How Do You Lock It?

Veteran

Have a friend who just purchased a new truck with this installed. I have a BP and have by trailer ball locked in the receiver so people don't walk away with it when not hooked to the trailer. How do you lock the hide away ball.

Also, in the RV world I've heard stories about people walking by a 5th wheel hitch and pulling the release lever so when the drive pulls away the nose drops into the bed of the truck. So many people lock those latches.

Is any of this possible or necesssary with the hide a ball?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-08-02 7:17 AM (#45863 - in reply to #45862)
Subject: RE: B&W Hide a Ball -- How Do You Lock It?

Expert

The easiest way to keep the B&W ball safe from thieves is to keep the trailer on it.  Short of that, take the ball out and lock it in the truck.  Because the ball is sitting in a pocket, even if the locking pin is pulled, the trailer will not fall on to the bed when pulled away, unlike a 5th wheel hitch.  Gravity helps in this case.
Kay
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-08-02 7:56 AM (#45864 - in reply to #45862)

Extreme Veteran

The balls in the B&W, Flip Over, and other under-bed hitches are becoming a high theft item.  We sell the balls as well as the hitches, and the demand for replacement balls is increasing.  We tell our customers to take them out and store them under the seat.   Also, locking an insert into a receiver hitch will thwart a thief, but if you leave it locked in there for a while, particularly in the winter and in areas where the roads are treated, it will rust solid.  The only way to change the insert then is to replace the entire hitch.  We do this a dozen times a year after all efforts to remove the insert fail.  Thus, we advise our customers to store their insert/ball mount under the seat when not in use.  The Walmart parking lot up the road from us is a high theft area.  We should post signs on the lightposts telling people where to go to replace their stolen inserts.  Trouble is they don't realize they are gone until they try to hook up a trailer.
huntinfool
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2006-08-04 12:07 AM (#45991 - in reply to #45862)

Regular

This post got me thinking about theft . I had never worried about leaving the Ball in the back of my truck until now . I guess I figured there wouldn't be a high demand for the stolen B&W ball . That's what I like about this forum , it shares information about what is happening around the country .

Thanks

cookiesforme
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2006-08-04 9:43 AM (#46016 - in reply to #45862)

I have the hide-away ball in my Dodge and we always take it out and put it under the seat of the truck. My husband told me that it cost over a $100 to replace one and, even though that ball gets greasy, it goes under the seat as soon as we unhook the trailer. Better safe than sorry!
CRK
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2006-08-05 11:13 AM (#46044 - in reply to #45862)

Veteran

Try Putting the ball in a coffee can and store in in the tow vehicle or the trailer. We wrap ours in a shop towel, place it in the can and lock the ball in the tool box. I have also heard of theft of the trailer balls and not only is it frustrating it is expensive to replace.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)