'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Trailer Floor...what to do, what to do

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-06-11 10:39 AM
5 replies, 2427 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Gaelic
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2006-06-10 1:31 AM (#42817)
Subject: Trailer Floor...what to do, what to do

Regular

I picked up my (new to me) trailer today and it is wonderful :) Of course, thanks to the posts here, I know exactly what I want to do with it to fix it up.

It is a four horse, head to head, with a back ramp and side ramp. We want to convert the first two stalls into a weekend LQ type thing. The trailer is quite roomy for us to do this. First, it is going to my father in law's body shop to have some spots welded, the ramp repaired, and some other little things fixed. Then, it will be primed and painted. Family discount, you know ;) And then I get to do the LQ!!! Fun fun fun!!!!

Here is my question. Of course, the floor is wood. Wood planks. Big ones. In really good shape - they were re-done last year. Now, if I put in LQ, my concern is that if the floor underneath the living quarters ever needs to be replaced, well, that's a pain in the behind. So we are looking at Rumber. I have no idea where to get this stuff, how to install it, what the requirements are etc. Ideas? I think the supports are too far apart - they are about 2 feet apart.

I am so excited! And I'm going to be sooooo poor! But it's a fun project I'm looking forward to.

Many thanks.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-06-10 7:04 AM (#42818 - in reply to #42817)
Subject: RE: Trailer Floor...what to do, what to do

Expert

Wood in houses lasts hundreds of years.  The secret is: Keep the wood dry.  The wood under your LQ will last the same.  Instead of preparing to fix a problem, avoid the problem.  Make sure the walls and roof of the trailer are sealed and stay sealed.  Even better, keep the trailer under shelter too.

Edited by hosspuller 2006-06-10 7:06 AM
Gaelic
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2006-06-10 12:36 PM (#42831 - in reply to #42817)

Regular

No shelter available, I'm afraid. It's parked at my boarding barn, and I live in downtown Toronto - no CHANCE that thing will fit in my driveway!

So you advise that I leave the wood? We took a peek at it yesterday - it is untreated. Should we varnish it? Paint it? I do not agree with the use of motor oil I've seen here - I'll be spending days in that thing, not to mention the horses.

Is the rumber prohibitively expensive, over the long-term? Thanks!
MBRA518
Reg. Sep 2004
Posted 2006-06-10 8:29 PM (#42844 - in reply to #42817)

Extreme Veteran

I think the only thing you have to do here is plan properly where to put your LQ wall.Make sure you place your LQ wall on a cross member in a way that will allow you to cut the wooden floor and only replace the back part - and leave the part under the LQ.Actually it may make sense to do this while you have it all apart. Take out the floor and put it back in in two pieces, they can weld in a new cross member to properly support the 2 new sections of floor, that way you can replace only the horse area floor if you need to later on.As for treating the lumber, a simple deck stain will seal it up well, and make sure to clean it out with every use... urine and manure will eat through the deck stain and rot the lumber over time.
rick
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2006-06-11 9:02 AM (#42859 - in reply to #42817)

Regular

If the floor was replaced last year and is in good shape why not under coat the LQ area with Line-x, Rhinoliner or some equivalant. Then I would also spray the floor inside where horses are with the same stuff. Just a thought, or to make your life a whole lot easier, rumber. I think it is tough to install but if father in law has body shop I would think it would not be a problem. He would have the tools to do the job. Good luck.
terri s
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2006-06-11 10:39 AM (#42862 - in reply to #42817)

Elite Veteran

To address your question about buying Rumber however, it can be purchased from valleyvet.com in 4x8 sheets. Installs essentially like plywood and comes with directions for installation.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)