'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Opinions Wanted: Hawk vs. Sundowner

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-06-07 7:51 PM
5 replies, 5155 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

TallHorse
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2006-06-05 12:14 PM (#42641)
Subject: Opinions Wanted: Hawk vs. Sundowner

I will be buying a new 2 horse straight load bumper pull soon and the main contenders are Hawk and Sundowner. Anyone have experience with both brands? My main concerns are that the trailer be safe, well made (read easy to maintain) and well ventilated.

Sundowners are more popular in my area, but I have really heard a lot of good things about the Hawk trailers and am considering both brands.

Anyone with experiences or comments? All are appreciated.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Dunoir
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2006-06-06 7:11 AM (#42670 - in reply to #42641)
Subject: RE: Opinions Wanted: Hawk vs. Sundowner

Elite Veteran

there's a good article about Hawk trailers on this site and gives alot of details about their construction.  Two of my friends have them, are very happy with them, and they appear to be well built trailers.

If you're buying new, Sundowner doesn't offer much in the way of customizing while Hawk will.  My friends got their trailer painted in the same colors as their truck, got a water tank added, and some other special options. 

Sundown R
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2006-06-06 11:55 AM (#42689 - in reply to #42641)

I carry Sundowner and Trail-et Trailers. Hawk trailers are constructed basically the same as the Trail-et. In fact, Hawk started after Trail-et was established for 15 years. Trail-et & Hawk both are steel framed/aluminum skinned, treated floor with an insulated fiberglass roof. Probably the coolest, temperature wise in the horse compartment, trailers on the market.
Most Sundowners you see are steel framed/aluminum skinned with an aluminum floor & roof. So, the main differences is in the floor and roof. Also, Sundowners' dividers are aluminum whereas Trail-et & Hawk are steel.
Trail-et windows are larger than Sundowners for added ventilation too.
Since you live in Texas, the Trail-et/Hawk would probably be my choice as the heat out there has got ot be miserable in the summer. Your horses will love you for getting one.
Plus, you'll save some money as well.
E-Mail me if you want additional information.
Sundown R
TallHorse
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2006-06-06 2:18 PM (#42697 - in reply to #42641)

Thank You!!!

Sundown R - Trailers are certainly not an apples-to-apples comparison and your comments are  exactly the type of information I was looking for.

Thanks all.

Edited by TallHorse 2006-06-06 2:23 PM
flatlandfilly
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2006-06-06 3:59 PM (#42702 - in reply to #42641)

Veteran

I bought a 2000 2H slantload gooseneck Hawk with weekender quarters last year about this time. I drove over 2,000 miles to pick it up and bring it home. I'm that convinced of their quality and this one seemed to have all that i wanted.

I am very pleased with the trailer. It's light and airy inside - encouraging for reluctant loaders. Many screened windows that open plus roof vents give good ventilation. The roof is fiberglass and keeps the interior much cooler. The floor is wood although I believe you can now get rumber floors. I don't care for metal flooring. It transmits too much road noise and heat and is less forgiving for horses to stand on.

My trailer is 7 foot tall. If I had to do it over again I'd get 71/2 foot tall. My racking horse is almost 16h and high headed. Also the slantload is a close fit for him. Fortunately he is usually the only horse going so I can open the divider and give him plenty of room.

I don't think you can go wrong with Hawk. My brother and nephew, who have their own steel trailer business, said it is top of the line.
Ruth
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2006-06-07 7:51 PM (#42751 - in reply to #42641)

We purchased a 3horse slant/with living qtrs. 2 years ago and we love it. It has a galveneal frame NOT steel with aluminum skin. The galveneal frame construction is what sets the Hawk trailer apart from other trailers. It will be rust free for many many years. We saw a trailer just like ours and thought it was only a couple years old and was pleasantly surprised to find out it was 7 years old and still looked great!! Check into this brand.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)