'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Condensation in tack room

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-04-04 12:03 PM
5 replies, 5099 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Hellevig
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-03-26 9:41 AM (#39526)
Subject: Condensation in tack room

I just bought a 2001 Featherlight 9408 (2H Slant, BP). The horse section walls are padded and insulated but the tack room walls are single ply aluminum, no ventilation at all, and the former owner's stuff was covered in mold. I have removed the ruined carpet but can't understand how this can be a workable situation. My former trailers have had windows, vents, and wooden floors and I have never had any trouble with condensation and mold. This trailer has an aluminum floor.

I was thinking I'd install a ceiling vent. Also the door has a one-piece-of-glass window and I was thinking of trying to find a replacement that has a slider with a screen. I was even thinking of drilling holes in the floor! Even if I do these things, would it solve the problem of mold and mildew?

What about a thin rubber mat under the tack room carpet? I was thinking that it would serve to insulate the floor and help with condensation there.

Any ideas??

Thanks,
Bonnie

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
J D
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2006-03-28 9:40 AM (#39642 - in reply to #39526)
Subject: RE: Condensation in tack room

There is a lot of questiions to ask your self about the trailer, is the tack room roof insulated and the walls insulated you mentioned the horse area being insulated but not the tack room. If it isn't insulated roof and sides it will drip just like a metal roof machine shed and can the horse piss run on the floor up into the tack room. A roof vent if it doesn't have one would help.
A lot of the bumper pulls wasn't sealed from water going into the tack area, I hauled some feeder calves years ago in one and the runny crap and piss got up into the tack area now that was fun to clean out.
Good luck sometimes a chair and a six-pack sitting in your trailer just thinking alone can figure out problems if it don't you won't care after the six-pack.
cowpony01
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-03-28 11:06 AM (#39652 - in reply to #39526)

Extreme Veteran

yes to the vent and door window. I have and intake and out take fan in my tack area. It is a 2h slant gooseneck. Don't drill holes in your floor. Mine is wood and we put plywood down ontop of that and has the fake grass carpeting in it. (I can change that out easy if anything goes wrong, the reasoning we put that down) Just make sure there aren't any leaks of any kind in the tack area, be really thorough looking! I really can't understand why these trailers nowadays are insulated in the stock area, it makes the animals hot, even with good ventilation, plus your trailer can't breath to prevent rusting. Hope anything we give here helps, let us know what you come up with
bobbi'smom
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2006-04-02 9:32 PM (#39904 - in reply to #39526)

I do not have this problem but a friend does with her classic alum trailer. she purchased several of the dri z air buckets that you add the packets of moisture wick stuff to. This has helped with the condensation and mildew problem. You can purchase them at any camping store or better yet at walmart.
iCE CRM
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2006-04-02 9:43 PM (#39906 - in reply to #39904)

Extreme Veteran

Yes to the vents and if the trailer sets outside I would insulated the ceiling and when you get back from riding set the blankets out until they dry. I would assume you do that already.
brisco
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-04-04 12:03 PM (#39957 - in reply to #39906)
Subject: space savers- show off your ideas

Regular

I would do some research to find out the best way to thoroughly clean the tack room, killing any mold/mildew already there.  That and the other steps mentioned should do the job.

Elaine

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)