'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
suggest a hitching system please

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-02-11 9:09 AM
5 replies, 3086 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

ksc66
Reg. Feb 2010
Posted 2010-02-10 1:00 PM (#116375)
Subject: suggest a hitching system please

New User

I would love some suggestions as to what system I should use with my truck and trailer,let me know what any of you have used and like or features you think would be beneficial. There are quite a few systems on the market and I would like the input from board members to narrow my choices.I am going to start hauling to shows this spring and recently purchased a used 2005 CM Endurance 2 horse straight load steel with 2 #3500 axles ,emergency breakaway system, electric brakes. My tow vehicle is a 1993 Chevy suburban 454 7.4L V-8 3/4 ton 4x4. The specs on the V-5 Suburban hitch has a rating of maximum distributing weight trailer 10,000, tongue 1,000.I will need to have a brake controller installed as well (suggestions?).I will be hauling my daughters 14.3h arabian who weighs around 900 lbs. I will put some gear in the trailers small tack compartment(saddles,bridles) with most of our stuff going in the cargo space of the suburban(third row seat is removed).Most trips will be less 200 miles from home but will include driving on the interstate(Atlanta).Thanks In Advance.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
apex6000
Reg. May 2009
Posted 2010-02-10 6:03 PM (#116383 - in reply to #116375)
Subject: RE: suggest a hitching system please

You definetely need a brake controller. I have a Prodigy. It seems like a popular model. A class 3 or 4 hitch would be plenty for you. You might want to consider an equilizer hitch. (Bars that hang with chains at the trailer end) It will smooth out a lot of the bouncing between the trailer and the truck.
hogtownboss
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2010-02-10 9:47 PM (#116399 - in reply to #116375)

Expert

Originally written by ksc66 on 2010-02-10 1:00 PM

I would love some suggestions as to what system I should use with my truck and trailer,let me know what any of you have used and like or features you think would be beneficial. There are quite a few systems on the market and I would like the input from board members to narrow my choices.I am going to start hauling to shows this spring and recently purchased a used 2005 CM Endurance 2 horse straight load steel with 2 #3500 axles ,emergency breakaway system, electric brakes. My tow vehicle is a 1993 Chevy suburban 454 7.4L V-8 3/4 ton 4x4. The specs on the V-5 Suburban hitch has a rating of maximum distributing weight trailer 10,000, tongue 1,000.I will need to have a brake controller installed as well (suggestions?).I will be hauling my daughters 14.3h arabian who weighs around 900 lbs. I will put some gear in the trailers small tack compartment(saddles,bridles) with most of our stuff going in the cargo space of the suburban(third row seat is removed).Most trips will be less 200 miles from home but will include driving on the interstate(Atlanta).Thanks In Advance.

A good quality brake control.  I use the prodigy as well.  Your Suburban has plenty of springs and will have NO problems with that trailer so I would not waste the money on the equalizer hitch, this is really an overkill with that large of a tow rig unless you plan on buying a larger trailer.

301duster
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2010-02-10 10:41 PM (#116405 - in reply to #116375)

Veteran

I generally agree with HTB, but this time I'm gonna take the other side.  I used to have a snowmobile trailer that came out new with those wonderful carlisle boat trailer tires.(just slightly bigger than an average krispy kreme donut).  I would blow out one or two tires about every trip.  When I put the equalizer hitch on, the trailer didn't dance around near as much when a tire blew.  I also like an equalizer for hitting dips or railroad tracks, as it takes some of the squish out of the rear end.  If you don't mind messing with one I think they're a good idea, but not necessarily a requirement.  Just something to consider.  My tow vehicle was an 85 3/4 ton Suburban and 2000 Excursion.  Worked great on both. 
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-02-10 10:52 PM (#116406 - in reply to #116375)

Expert

An equalizer hitch may be necessary depending on the hitch weight of the loaded trailer. A straight load 2H trailer can be heavier on the ball than some 3H slant loads. Each trailer will differ on it's loading.

I would first try the combination without the equalizer, and then if the tow vehicle is squatting too much, have one installed. To arbitrarily suggest that a vehicle needs a helper hitch, may not be necessary and could be an unneeded expense.

flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2010-02-11 9:09 AM (#116417 - in reply to #116375)

Expert

I pulled my day trailer, a Sundowner 2 horse, with my Suburban, 4WD, 454, without any issues at all.  It did super, and I live in hilly country at best.  Used a digital brake control, worked fine. Don't have the Suburban anymore, wiped out in black ice (no trailer!) going slow in the country across a bridge, purse never even fell off the seat.....had 240,000 miles on it.....I now pull it with our 3/4 4WD farm truck or with the 1 ton.  Repolaced the Suburban with an Infiniti Qx4, and it does not have the mass or suspension to pull a horse trailer, I think.

Have a Prodigy in the 1 ton for pulling the LQ trailer.  Works fine there.  You should be in good shape with that rig with a brake control set up. 

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)