'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Trail Riding on Antelope Island

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-06-01 1:09 PM
5 replies, 5278 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

trailcorral
Reg. May 2009
Posted 2009-05-30 12:26 PM (#105724)
Subject: Trail Riding on Antelope Island

Trail Ride on Antelope Island, UT

The beauty of nature was unbelievable on Antelope Island, so close to Salt Lake City but all to its-self.  The buffalo and antelope graze not even noticing the few people that were watching them.  It was a cool day with a breeze that kept down the bugs and the smell of Salt Lake to make it a perfect ride.

See more pictures under album for Silent Impressive   or see web for info on Trail Corral @ http://www.trailcorral.net/ (web is up but under construction)

Edited by trailcorral 2009-05-30 1:41 PM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2009-05-30 10:16 PM (#105737 - in reply to #105724)
Subject: RE: Trail Riding on Antelope Island

Expert

I do enjoy antelope island all winter. It neat to see wild buffalo, mule deer, antelope and Big horn sheep.  I enjoy hearing the cluck from the chuckers and seeing them run off and watching the coyotes chase mice in the grassy areas. It's close to home, easy on my horses barefeet, and the snow doesn't get too deep during the winter. I usually buy a season pass and go out each week.

But it's an Thanksgiving to Easter season for me. I never go out during the warmer months.  Too many bugs and no shade.

I prefer to chase the snow up the mountain come spring and enjoy wild flowers as they spread their color this time of year.

Today I was near snowline that you show in your picture looking across the lake.

The wild flowers are coming on strong and the trees have leaved out providing lots of shade.

What other trails do you like close to home?

trailcorral
Reg. May 2009
Posted 2009-05-31 12:13 AM (#105739 - in reply to #105724)
Subject: Riding at Red Cliff

Hey Painted Horse,

I have just  moved here recently and have only got to ride Antelope and up at Red Cliff.  I would love to go more places!

I am trying to get my stallion ready to show, so I haven't got to do much trail riding, plus I injured my knee on the motorcycle and have to stay off of it for about 6 weeks. 

Please tell me more places to go! 

Thanks,

Here are pictures from Red Cliff.  (I forgot to take my camera on the trail)

Edited by trailcorral 2009-05-31 12:31 AM
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2009-05-31 10:23 AM (#105753 - in reply to #105724)

Expert

Welcome to Utah. Where did you come from?

Utah is over 70% public land so there is lots of Forest Service, BLM and State lands to ride on. Northern Utah has more private land than public because of the population density. But there is still lots of access.

Check with the Back Country Horsemen group.  The State President lives in Hooper.  They do monthly rides that will help you find new trails.

A couple of easy ones to get to for you are the Railroad right a way out in Plain City. I've not ridden that trail, but folks tell me its OK ride in cooler weather.

The Bonneville Shoreline Trail in East Layton, Kaysville. Start at either the trail head near the Davis County Animal Control building or at the Fernwood trail head.  the Dog pound is located just above hiway 89, go to the traffic light at 400N and turn east, and make a left trun and follow the  road up.  The parking lot is across the street from the animal control and county shops. You wil see it on the left.  This is a fairly level trail that folows the shoreline of the ancient Lake Bonneville.

It has bridges and streams to cross, lots of hikers with dogs, mountain bikers etc. So it's good experience for the horses to learn to deal with things along the trail

Its on the bench above all the homes looking back at toward Antelope Island.  It's west facing so it's a better morning ride during the summer. And I ride it a lot in the spring and fall.

Another trail I ride a lot in the summer is Snow Basin.  This used to be strictly a horse trail, but in the last 10 years it has become very popular with mountain bikers. I find the bikers are very courteous and will stop and wait while you pass.  My only complaint with the bikers,is that so many have starting using this area that they have taken all the parking areas that I used to park my trailer in.  Best bet is to drive all the way to the Snow Basin parking lot. Continue past the lodge and go into the lower parking area ( located to the north of the lodge) Lots of parking there. The trail will head north out of the parking area. There are several trails here. The trail up to Cold Canyon Overlook is a pretty good climb up a long set of switchbacks.  At the top you will be looking out over Ogden.  The other trail heads down hill to Art Noord Trailhead ( another place to park)  This can be a 7 mile out and back or a 10 mile loop trail.  Lots of bridges and a few stream crossings.  And during the evening you should see some Moose and deer.

In the Ogden Valley are numerous trails. You can check on the Ogden Valley Pathways.

http://www.weberpathways.org/trails_map.asp

Middle Fork, Centenial trail, Cuttler Flats trail, Ben Lommand Skyline trail are all located in the Ogden Vally around Pineview. These are all close to your home and easy to trailer up for an afternoon ride.

And if you want to venture a little farther from home. I can recommend some other neat rides in Utah that would be more like an ALL day or weekend trip.

Edited by Painted Horse 2009-05-31 10:30 AM
ridingarocky
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2009-06-01 12:17 PM (#105788 - in reply to #105724)

Elite Veteran

Your pictures, as always, are beautiful!!! I particularly like the one with the short view down the steep valley... Looks like Heaven to me.  They make me soooooo jealous!
Gone
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2009-06-01 1:09 PM (#105793 - in reply to #105724)

Elite Veteran

God's country.........
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'