'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Manning Camp - Arizona

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-05-04 8:54 AM
5 replies, 5598 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Bells
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2009-05-01 3:19 PM (#104284)
Subject: Manning Camp - Arizona

Veteran

I have 2 friends with whom I have spent a few times packing into the mountains on our own including 10 days in the Gila Wilderness in NM. So we have been packing before and have enjoyed our adventures along the way. One day a few months ago we decided to pack up to Manning Camp in the East Saguaro National Park in AZ.

Our plans were a bit ambitious. We thought, hey it is only 12.9 miles we do more than that all the time. What we didn't plan for was the very, very steep elevation change. So we left our home town at 6 am, stopped for one last hot meal, and were fully planning on staying at Manning Camp that night. Hhhmmm things didn't go quite as planned. We arrived at the trail head and left around 2 pm. Two horses (Lucy and Milo), three mules (two - Mr. Beasely and Mary were used for packing food supplies for us and the animals and the third - Jack was ridden). Jack towing the pack string led the way.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_LkLuXSsZrew/SfhFFG3fLuI/AAAAAAAAAes/wgQvnarvODg/s640/IMG_0403.JPG

We made it to Douglas Springs Campground around 4:30 and thought that there was no water. We pressed on. I did look back and see some small pools of water. We should have stopped there for the night but the front of the line didn't hear me yell that there was water. I think Mr. Beasley the little pack mule heard me as from then on he wanted to stop every 15 minutes for a long rest.

By 7:00 we were still slowly making our way up the mountain. We finally put the horses in front of the line which encouraged the mules to keep on moving. We all spent quite a bit of time hiking as we wanted to make sure our horses/mules were okay. The one thought on all of our minds was getting to water. We had enough drinking water for people but the horses really needed some. By about 8 pm we were getting quite worried even though the animals seemed fine but darkness was hitting and still no water. Nothing we could do but trudge on w/flashlights out. Luckily after Douglas Springs the footing was better and it was quite nice along Cow Head Saddle Trail. Somewhere along the way, Jean put down her helmet and gloves and didn't pick them back up, Laura's helmet must have taken a hit along the way as when we got up the next morning it was broken, and somehow Jean's nonessential but really useful and expensive progressive glasses were crushed.

About 9:30 the pack mules started rushing ahead - ah water!! We didn't make it to Manning that night but stopped and set up camp in the dark. In the dark we managed to rig up a high line so that none of the animals were tied to trees. We knew we were only supposed to camp in official camp grounds but we just.could.not.reach one that night. It was just too dangerous to continue in the dark. We skipped dinner and each of us had a cinnamon roll that was so thoughtfully brought by Jean. We turned in for a very restless night as we were still worried about our animals. They were absolutely fine but we still worried and always on our minds was the potential escape of Milo who on previous trips had revealed how much he likes to escape a high line. Pictures of our wonderful puddle of water and the campsite:

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_LkLuXSsZrew/SfhFWpAdIZI/AAAAAAAAAfw/XqevLSSQcEU/s800/IMG_0391.JPG

The "we almost made it" site. http://lh5.ggpht.com/_LkLuXSsZrew/SfhFcaLDfhI/AAAAAAAAAgI/wqIXrf0UtM0/s640/IMG_0388.JPG

Can you tell that we just dumped our stuff off the night before? http://lh4.ggpht.com/_LkLuXSsZrew/SfhFZ3MUwEI/AAAAAAAAAgA/d6pamaXIPKI/s800/IMG_0389.JPG

So the next morning we took our time and packed up as we only had a mile to go. We were really glad that we hadn't continued in the dark as it was very nice to come upon one of the nastiest outcrop crossings in the daylight hours. I might have cried if we had to cross it at night. Even Jean got off her mule to cross and called the pack string to come over.

Quite quickly we reached the wonderful Manning Camp. It was beautiful to see and what was even cooler were the forest service tents that were all set up w/cots. Can you guess where we spent the night? We decided that because they weren't labeled keep out like the cabin was, we would make ourselves at home. We spent the rest of the day resting and exploring the Manning Camp area. There are 3 paddocks, one quite large that the mules were in and 2 smaller ones. It is truly beautiful and if you ever get the chance and really trust your animals physically and mentally - head up the mountain! Pictures of the Manning Camp area:

The cabin at the top http://lh5.ggpht.com/_LkLuXSsZrew/SfhFMxnlJ7I/AAAAAAAAAfE/XB50meYWbpc/s800/IMG_0399.JPG

Turn out for the animals! http://lh4.ggpht.com/_LkLuXSsZrew/SfhFO1a40LI/AAAAAAAAAfM/PYzXd_fIHw4/s800/IMG_0397.JPG

happy, happy us - TENTS and COTS! http://lh4.ggpht.com/_LkLuXSsZrew/SfhFLDzroZI/AAAAAAAAAe8/-Xx5kY-ylxM/s800/IMG_0400.JPG

Pretty water fall at the top http://lh3.ggpht.com/_LkLuXSsZrew/SfhFUXsBHFI/AAAAAAAAAfo/ELgCInRk430/s800/IMG_0393.JPG

That night about 4 groups of 7 hikers made their way up the mountain. Amazingly all the groups came up different trails and none had come up the Douglas Spring Trail. And we had a nice time meeting them as they came up. Several did what we did and made themselves comfortable in the tents. They were quite nice and we were awed by their very strong will to climb. One group had actually brought a bottle of champagne to celebrate their final leg of the Arizona Trail system. Jean managed to wheedle the rest of the bottle off them and she was able to sleep very well that night.

Originally we were going to spend a third night on the mountain; however, it had taken so long and we knew we would have a long drive home afterward that we decided to head down and, if there was enough water at Douglas Springs Camp spend the night there. On the way down we found Jean's helmet and gloves right where she left them. Lucy's saddle kept slipping so I walked most of the way to the camp and Milo and Laura were kind enough to pony Lucy. Leaving me free to take some pictures as we made our way down: http://lh6.ggpht.com/_LkLuXSsZrew/SfhFHAW57mI/AAAAAAAAAe0/xeSRCIZAk0I/s800/IMG_0407.JPG

We managed to slide into Douglas Camp around 3:30 and we had a leisurely evening setting up camp and making sure that Milo, aka Prisoner No. 42 Cell Block B, didn't wonder off. We were really confident of keeping him on the high line that night when we found the padlock and chain that we had packed for him. Pictures of Douglas Spring camping: http://lh3.ggpht.com/_LkLuXSsZrew/SfhEz0nzVNI/AAAAAAAAAeM/ZL9tqGyDw8o/s800/IMG_0421.JPG

The next day we got an early start as we still had to drive home that day. Poor Jean struggled a bit w/the mule train going downhill. Jack is the type that always knows where the trailer is and he wanted to get home. The pack mules struggled to keep up w/him so for awhile slow walking Lucy took over. We finally got down to a meal brought by Laura's family that lives in the Tucson area. It really hit the spot before the trip home.

And that is how I spent my weekend.

For any one reading this, we sincerely apologize for breaking the rules by not staying in a designated camp site the 1st night. But it was just too dangerous to continue.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
NM-Rider
Reg. Jun 2008
Posted 2009-05-01 4:12 PM (#104290 - in reply to #104284)
Subject: RE: Manning Camp - Arizona

Regular

Bells-That is some rough county you rode in.  I grew up just 3 miles from Saguaro Park.  When the monsoons hit in July that whole area will change almost overnight.  Was there 2 summers ago and amazingly the grasses were waist high in areas.  Don't know if the area is still accessable but south of I-10 going towards Sonoita is some neat areas.  Tucson has grown so much from when I lived there many areas we explored are now developed. 

Marla
Reg. Mar 2008
Posted 2009-05-02 10:34 AM (#104335 - in reply to #104284)

Extreme Veteran

Enjoyed your post and the pics.  Horses always make life more interesting.

Marla

Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2009-05-02 1:30 PM (#104344 - in reply to #104284)

Expert

Congrats on a fun trip. If the rain would quit, I'd get started on my summer campouts. Really hoping for next weekend.

We ride a lot in the dark, Sometimes you just can't get to where you want to be before the sun sets. Sometimes the fishing is just too good to leave in time to get off the mountain before dark. I've learned to trust the horses they seem to see pretty well in the dark, and always seem to know where the trailer is. And sometimes when you shoot an elk or deer at sunset, It's take an hour or two to clean and cut it up before you even start back down the mountain. My luck it always seem to be a moonless night.

I usually ride with out lights and only turn them on if I can't determine where the trail goes. Sometimes if you can see a little farther out you can pick up the trail again after a bad spot.

Your water spots look great.  they probably really fllod during Monsoon. It's amazing how much water you can find in the desert.

We call them Indian Bath tubs. Depressions in the rocks that catch and hold rain water.

Some of the old time settler left tanks that collect the small trickles of water.

Oh but you can see forever out in the desert.  The views are great.

Edited by Painted Horse 2009-05-02 1:34 PM
arrestado
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2009-05-03 9:19 PM (#104402 - in reply to #104284)

Thank you so much for your post! My friend and I who grew up riding the lower Saguaro National Monument trails have always wanted to go to Manning camp! Now that we know what to expect, I think we'll try it. Did you park at the Speedway entrance? So you'd say give about 7-8 hours to get up there if we went straight through?
Bells
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2009-05-04 8:54 AM (#104415 - in reply to #104284)

Veteran

Yes, we parked at Speedway. And you have a good plan of 7-8 hours.

If we did it again we would leave by 9 am, spend an hour resting at Douglas and then go on. I also would be careful about going in rain. Some of the trails are very exposed and if a thunder storm came up it would not be a pleasant experience. Also too late in the season and you won't have water. If you get as far as Douglas Campground the trails get much easier right after that (w/one very short exception) so don't be put off by the rough going down below.

Good luck, it was very nice at the top. We woke up to see young deer playing in the woods.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)