'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
East Fork Ohio State Park

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-06-07 10:16 PM
5 replies, 3300 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

ROCK-N-Z
Reg. Mar 2008
Posted 2008-06-04 8:26 AM (#85179)
Subject: East Fork Ohio State Park

New User

Anyone ride at East Fork Ohio State Park?  Would you reccommend?  Do they have hitching rails for the horses?  Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Candy girl
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2008-06-04 11:49 AM (#85192 - in reply to #85179)
Subject: RE: East Fork Ohio State Park

Veteran

Welcome to the Forum! I'm less than 2 hours from you. We spent last year's Labor Day weekend there. If my memory serves me right, we had at least 5 rigs and 13 horses in our group, including kids with their own mounts. We camped Friday through Monday. We had a good time. Terrain is very diverse--flats and hills. Challenging, but not treacherous. I remember one of the trails has a rest area with hitching rails and a beautiful view of the lake. Campground was very nice with restrooms/shower house. They provide high lines at the campsites. We have a couple of veteran trail riders (65-70 years old) who have been many places over the years and they enjoyed it so much they went back this past Memorial weekend.
brushycreekranch
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2008-06-05 8:01 AM (#85242 - in reply to #85179)

One thing we did not like about East Fork-OH....they allowed non horse campers to take up sites in the horse camp then asked some to move. 
Candy girl
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2008-06-05 8:09 AM (#85245 - in reply to #85242)

Veteran

Wow. We didn't see anything of that. Just us horsemen (and women) in the horsemen's camp when we were there.
dancinon
Reg. Jun 2008
Posted 2008-06-06 3:40 PM (#85307 - in reply to #85179)

New User

I have ridden at East Fork many many times because I used to live 15 minutes away. I did not use the campground. I usually entered from another side of the park where I felt it was much prettier (closer to the ranger station). The trails are not that well maintained in my opinion and are always muddy. The ones closest to the horse camp are the least wet but if you want to spend several hours riding in the day you will surely find the ones I'm speaking of. Some of the mud is so deep and thick it will pull your horse's shoes off. There are however some beautiful spots.
rimrockranch
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2008-06-07 10:16 PM (#85366 - in reply to #85179)

I concur with Dancin. Campground is ok, one of the few public horsecamps in Ohio with electric or facilities. As of 2 years ago, the trails weren't well marked, maps were so-so and it was muddy. I live about 2-1/2 hours away and I would only return to East Fork during a drought.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)