'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Central Virginia

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-05-27 1:30 PM
5 replies, 3816 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Hillview
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2008-04-13 4:46 PM (#81816)
Subject: Central Virginia

Veteran

Hi - I'm considering a relocation to Charlotteville, Virginia.  Does anyone know about this area?  There's not much info on line about trails there.  Is there anywhere to ride within an hour of the city?

Thanks

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
ghbb41
Reg. Jul 2007
Posted 2008-04-15 11:51 AM (#81987 - in reply to #81816)
Subject: RE: Central Virginia

Veteran

I lived in Charlottesville for years. It is beautiful country and is somewhat of an elite equine community. Very expensive horse area. (Keswick).  There are many places to ride.Here are some web sites to go to:  http://www.blueridgeonline.com/horses.htm

http://www.virginiahorsecouncil.org/index.htm

http://www.horseandmuletrails.com/

barntoys4mom
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2008-05-22 8:18 AM (#84445 - in reply to #81816)

Veteran

Charlottesville is a beautiful area, but elite is more the norm. If you’re a field hunter or cross country rider, you will find lots of opportunities. If you’re a western rider, you may want look a little south and west. A friend of mine is a trainer about 25 minutes south of Charlottesville in a little town called Scottsville located on the river. She has lots of ties to a trail riding group and they also host some rides in that area. Let me know if you need more info. Happy to pass it along.
freeindeed
Reg. Jul 2007
Posted 2008-05-22 9:11 PM (#84514 - in reply to #81816)

Graves Mountain Lodge at Syria (north of Charlottesville off Rt. 29) has some nice trails and rough camping sites-there is also a nice lodge with really good food! Check out their website. Lake Anna State Park is not too far away, and there are several trails along Skyline Drive as well. Charlottesville is definitely horse country-the farms on the way from Gordonsville to Charlottesville are spectacular (think "old money"). Of course there are many of us "average" horse owners as well. Welcome to Virginia-we are blessed with mountains on one side of the state and the Chesapeake Bay and Atlantic Ocean on the other.
mingiz
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2008-05-23 6:37 PM (#84579 - in reply to #81816)

Elite Veteran

There is a hosted ride in Scottsville this weekend. A few of my friends went down to it. We go there for thier Fall ride. We also go to Grave's. Good riding there. there is also Fort Valley in Luray..that has from rough camping to cabins..Trails are more rockier there. Happy Trails Hope everyone has a great Memorial Day Weekend
ghbb41
Reg. Jul 2007
Posted 2008-05-27 1:30 PM (#84746 - in reply to #81816)

Veteran

I lived in Scottsville for years but that has been some time ago. fort Valley has a  website and nice camping facilities as we have been there before. Natural Bridge is about 2 hours away and there is primitive camping there and also try Churchville, not far from Stanton.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)