'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Looking for an overnight location in S.Iowa

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-04-14 6:04 PM
5 replies, 3299 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

foxy54748
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2008-04-12 10:47 AM (#81741)
Subject: Looking for an overnight location in S.Iowa

Hi All - thought I'd come to the experts instead of surfing for hours.  My husband and I will be traveling through southern Iowa in late May are are looking for a place to overnight with our horses.  Can somone provide information on fairgrounds or other facilities where we could unload and camp for 1 night with pens or corrals for the horses so we don't have to set up portables?  Preferable south of Des Moines along I-35.  Thanks in advance for any and all information.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Flooper
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2008-04-12 2:10 PM (#81745 - in reply to #81741)
Subject: RE: Looking for an overnight location in S.Iowa

Veteran

Just south of Des Moines (not too far off 1-35) is one of the best campground facilities in the state. It's called Elk Rock, and it's very modern, with great bathrooms and showers, a nice riding arena,etc. It's right on Lake Red Rock. Some nice easy, flat, relaxing trails (and short) by the lake that will let your horses unwind and not have to work too hard at all. You couldn't ask for a better place to overnight. Here's the link to the website and a description from there:

http://www.iowadnr.com/parks/state_park_list/elk_rock.html

Equestrian Campground
The equestrian campground features 57 sites, 42 with electrical hookups. A modern shower building, horse stalls, hitching rails, equestrian wash station and a 100' x 200' riding arena are available. Advance campsite reservations for half the campsites can be booked through the park reservation system. Half of the campsites are still available on a first-come, first-serve basis.

I would recommend reservations (can do online) because it's the place where a lot of people come to stay, trail ride and go to the horse races in Des Moines. Nice place, you'll love it.

Edited by Flooper 2008-04-12 2:12 PM
j&j
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2008-04-12 8:11 PM (#81775 - in reply to #81741)

Veteran

http://www.countyfairgrounds.net/

This will give you all the info on the county fairgrounds in the US. We use them quite a bit when traveling and they are either free or nominal. Most have elec. and there is water because of the livestock facilities.We always call to make sure there is nothing big scheduled. Also, sometimes they will have to come and unlock the gates for you.

j&j
foxy54748
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2008-04-13 8:33 PM (#81831 - in reply to #81741)

thanks for the information --- I really appreciate the link to the county fairgrounds - we do lots of traveling with our horses and this information will in invaluable. Happy Trails!
Saddlebredlover
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2008-04-13 8:35 PM (#81832 - in reply to #81741)

Regular

Hi,

You can stop in at my place.  I would be glad to take you in.  I live just south of Des Moines right off the interstate (2 miles)...in Martinsdale.  I have an arena that you can throw your horses in for the night.  We'd be glad to offer you some Iowan hospitality.  Email me at hero_642002@yahoo.com.  Natalee

classygirl98
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2008-04-14 6:04 PM (#81913 - in reply to #81741)

Veteran

Natalee that is so nice of you. Horse folks are just downright great people.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)