'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Saw a mention of EPM...and...

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-10-20 11:01 AM
5 replies, 3788 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

calamityj
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2007-10-17 5:31 PM (#69541)
Subject: Saw a mention of EPM...and...

Elite Veteran

I noticed someone mentioned EPM on the blog about the MFT rear end.

On our farm we take good care of our horses and vacinate for everything including Rabies and EPM. Several years ago I noticed our big paint horse was losing muscle/fat tissue on his left shoulder.. it came on very suddenly and he was dropping his gait in the left rear. We took him to several vets and finally went to K-State vet clinic and got him tapped. He was positive. We treated him with a compound from Frank's pharmacy in Ocala, Florida for about nine months.

that was about seven years ago and he is 99.9% back to normal. So, if it is caught and treated early enough there is a chance. Anyone else experience it??

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2007-10-17 6:35 PM (#69545 - in reply to #69541)
Subject: RE: Saw a mention of EPM...and...

Expert

Is that a new vaccine?
ponytammy
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2007-10-18 12:56 PM (#69578 - in reply to #69541)

Elite Veteran

One item to mention that because a horse tests positive for EPM doesn't mean they will come down with the disease. It just means that the antibodies are present. A horse that has been vaccinated for the disease may test postive. A bloodtest will tell you if the horse has been exposed to either the vaccine or the actual protazoa and the results from that will determine if the spinal test is needed. The spinal tap like Calamityj had done is the best way to find out if the protazoa has entered the horses nureological system.

We too keep all feeds stored in weather tight containers within a feed room, but you can't control pastures very well. So every fall I set live traps to catch the little vermon that want to winter in my hay barn. I even caught one this past week trying to get into my chicken coop that has 10 foot chainlink panels and is hot wired. I have found that Canned cat food is best bait to use.

ggrimm01
Reg. Aug 2005
Posted 2007-10-18 12:57 PM (#69579 - in reply to #69541)

Regular

I saw that Bayer has a cure that will get rid of EPM, however whatever damage is done to the nerves is done and cannot be fixed.
mrstacticalmedic
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2007-10-19 7:27 AM (#69612 - in reply to #69541)

Extreme Veteran

I saw that too, I know the old treatment with the Sulfa drugs was very very expensive.  We had a TB that got EPM.  Make sure you keep those varmints (raccoons, opossums, skunks) out of your hay and grain.  That is the major exposure avenue there.
gottaride
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-10-20 11:01 AM (#69682 - in reply to #69541)

Last year one of our riding geldings became sick from EPM; we used "Marquis"- we did one months treatment, and he came out of it. We didnt think he would- he was in such bad shape we nearly put him down. He lost nearly ALL body mass/muscle- looked so awful and had little control over both hind legs. The disease showed itself 'suddenly'- he went down hill within one week- during that time we had 2 clinics doing all his bloodwork to find out what was wrong. Anyway......he pulled out of it. I was convinced he would never be rideable again; he was so darn skinny I was afraid to have anyone see him; Somehow, over the past year, he has gained back most of his mass (he is still lean) AND has total control over his hind legs- enough to where we can ride him again! I started slow- reconditioning him just 'to see'- and he hasn't had any issues. We do not ride him hard, nor very often- but next year he'll probably be a main riding horse again. My vets even comment that they have never seen a horse w/EPM that was as BAD as he was, and now be totally fine.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)