'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Poll Wilderness Resorts, Oneida, TN (BSF Area)

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-10-15 4:17 PM
5 replies, 3784 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

FarmGirl
Reg. Oct 2007
Posted 2007-10-10 10:37 PM (#69193)
Subject: Wilderness Resorts, Oneida, TN (BSF Area)

Has anyone stayed at this place and/or know anything about the trails?  We're going in November and they told us they would give us trail maps but the maps wouldn't indicate the type of trail (challenging vs. mild).  I have an 18 year old Arabian mare that does well on the 10 and 12 mile trails we usually ride in the Shawnee and I'm hoping these trails aren't too difficult for her.  I read something posted about some of the other trails in BSF and how the trails were sooo challenging and the horses barely made it back to camp.  One person even mentioned getting off their horse and leading him back...  My mare is in good physical condition and we ride at least once/week, but that other post has me a little nervous (for me and my horse...).

Thanks in advance for any advice.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
D sq
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-10-11 8:52 AM (#69210 - in reply to #69193)
Subject: RE: Wilderness Resorts, Oneida, TN (BSF Area)

Regular

We stayed at Crickett Lane in the Station Camp portion of the resort. Unlike my husband, I loathe narrow trails and ridge riding, so I was pleasantly surprised at how nice the trails are there. Nothing treacherous or exceedingly difficult. We ride gaited horses and there were actually places where gaiting was possible. Tough to do in the mountains sometimes. The home and barn were very nice as well. According to the folks we met on the trail, the upper portion of the resort at Bear Creek is the rougher trail system. Have a great time! It is absolutely beautiful riding.
iCE CRM
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2007-10-14 8:07 PM (#69361 - in reply to #69210)

Extreme Veteran

The only trouble we had was dealing with the people that rent the homes or cabins. They are not the most reliable and hard to get a hold of. The riding is fine
FarmGirl
Reg. Oct 2007
Posted 2007-10-15 9:56 AM (#69379 - in reply to #69210)

Are the trails well-marked?

D sq
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-10-15 10:44 AM (#69383 - in reply to #69193)

Regular

Sure are. There are signs at each trail intersection. They sent us a trail map before we got there, so we could plan our routes every day.

Forty
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2007-10-15 4:17 PM (#69417 - in reply to #69193)

I have not stayed at Wilderness Resorts, but have ridden at Big Southfork many times.  In fact we just returned from a week long trip at BSF.  We stayed at Bandy Creek Campground and loved it.  The trails are not that strenuous for the horses.  There are some long hills to climb but managable.  We ride often at Shawnee, and found the terrain to be similar, but with much greater elevation changes.  The trails are well marked.  You must ride the trail to Charit Creek Lodge as well as the O & W Trail to the O & W Bridge.  Also the Needle Eye is a breathtaking. 
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)