'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Cart before the horse or vice versa??

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-09-26 4:08 PM
5 replies, 3416 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

DrivinMeBuggy
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2007-09-24 3:40 PM (#68332)
Subject: Cart before the horse or vice versa??

New User

Hello,

I am planning a new trailer and could use some input please. I shall be wanting a gooseneck (aluminum) for taking my horse and cart to shows and drives etc. Because of space restrictions here for parking/turning I am thinking to start with a trailer 18' on the floor and a side and rear ramp. What I would like to know, please, is where the safest place to travel the horse?

Initially I have been thinking to have the back 10' be a box stall that would take my cart/carriage (400# approx) harness, hay etc. etc. and I could leave these things in the trailer a lot of the time. And then on show/drive day, load my horse (15hh and 1400#) up a side ramp in to an 8' long box stall in front. This way I could load/unload either horse or cart without having to move the other.

Would this be a safe place to travel her or would she be better traveling over the axles? I'm wanting to consider both her comfort on long trips and the stability of the rig???? On the one hand I think that being "slung" between the rear axles and the hitch would give a smoother ride to her and perhaps less potential for sway of the back end but would I be weighting the hitch too much and leaving the axles not weighted enough? I'd be storing things in the nose of the gooseneck too though could move that out if it would be better over the wheels.

I'm planning to use a 3/4 ton truck.

As you can see...I really don't know where to begin! Help? Anyone? Please!!!!!

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2007-09-24 5:57 PM (#68339 - in reply to #68332)
Subject: RE: Cart before the horse or vice versa??

Expert

You idea sounds good to me. With a GN, placement of the load isn't as important to the overall ride as with a BP. I think your horse will be just fine in the front as well as in the back.
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2007-09-25 11:09 AM (#68362 - in reply to #68332)

Expert

That is an excellent placement, well done.
greyhorse
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2007-09-25 11:18 AM (#68363 - in reply to #68332)

Extreme Veteran

I agree, the horse will have a much nicer ride being between the hitch and the axles than it would over the axles. If your horse is big (and it sounds like she is) I would make your box stall 9 or 10 feet long instead of 8 just to be sure there's enough room. You can measure her from nose to tail and give her an extra foot for comfort, 8 might be long enough since she can stand at a slant in that configuration.
DrivinMeBuggy
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2007-09-25 4:18 PM (#68377 - in reply to #68332)

New User

Thank you so much everyone. So the consensus is that the mare traveling in front would be more comfy for her and not effect the safety and stability of the rig. Cool!

I hear the comment about making her box stall longer and have already decided that it would be better if I did. But thanks for thinking of my fat little mare!

longearsrule
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2007-09-26 4:08 PM (#68420 - in reply to #68332)

Extreme Veteran

Don't forget to allow enough room for the cart. Are your shafts removeable? I had a 2 wheel easy in cart and loaded it in front and the shafts had to rest on the middle gate. My stalls were 8'. I had a horse almost 16 hands and he fit in it just fine.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)