'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Horse Trailer Video Monitoring

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-03-08 7:14 AM
5 replies, 3963 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

socceraggie
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-03-05 7:38 PM (#56739)
Subject: Horse Trailer Video Monitoring

New User

My fiance has a very special horse that is like her baby.  When we trailer him  around, she worries about how he is doing in the trailer because he does not have good trailer manners.

I'm looking at video monitoring systems for our truck and trailer so she can see him in the trailer and I don't have to answer the question "how do you think he is doing now?" every 30 seconds.

So far I've looked at systems that are marketed toward horse trailers, and then I've also been looking at generic systems that I could wire together in the hopes of saving a little bit of money.  Here is our current rig set up:

- Gooseneck 3 horse slant load
- F-250 Superduty

If anyone has any good websites or advise for a video monitoring system (wired or wireless), I would appreciate any help.

Thanks,
David

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Spooler
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2007-03-05 7:49 PM (#56742 - in reply to #56739)
Subject: RE: Horse Trailer Video Monitoring

Extreme Veteran

That might not be a good idea.  You may be stopping every 30 seconds because he is acting up......

lostinohio
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2007-03-05 10:09 PM (#56749 - in reply to #56739)

Hi David,

Welcome to the site . I can give you our experience with our setup. We pull a 3-horse slant bumper pull and installed a video system almost 3 years ago and feel it is almost a necessity for peace of mind(Sudden jerking in trailer, having hit brakes hard because of some #$%& cutting us off,divider not latched,etc). First there our wired and wireless, ours is wired(RCA cords) from camera to trailer hitch and from truck hitch to inside cab of truck. I cannot say how wireless would work, although would be concerned about interference signals. Second, there are two main types of camera image sensors. They are cmos and ccd, cmos is the cheaper of the two and does not IMO offer near the picture quality of ccd(have had both). Thirdly, the cameras come in different FL's(focal lengths) which dictates how wide or narrow of a view the camera sees(lower the # is wider field of view). Our system is a Sony 1/3"(most cameras are 1/3 or 1/4" sensor size, larger size-better quality) ccd which is b/w with I believe 8 or 12-IR(infra-red) leds that allow us to see what's going on in trailer when it's pitch dark outside. The FL(focal length) is 3.6mm which allows us to see all three stalls with camera mounted near  right/rear ceiling looking towards the left front. All items were found on eBay(new camera-$90.00, used 5.7" lcd monitor-$30.00) with rca cords picked up locally. Camera is wired for power(12vdc) off trailer and monitor sits on center console in truck powered off a lighter plug. I priced some of the systems marketed for horse owners and high prices made me piece my own system. Good luck with your project.

PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-03-05 10:56 PM (#56751 - in reply to #56739)

Expert

http://www.rostech.com/

They have systems for both your trailer and your barn...

brushycreekranch
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2007-03-06 7:38 AM (#56758 - in reply to #56739)

We were extremely disappointed in the poor performance of the Rostech wireless trailer cams. We ended up replacing them with the hardwired Pioneer system on one trailer and the Audiovox system on the other.
threeman
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2007-03-08 7:14 AM (#56859 - in reply to #56739)

Extreme Veteran

I put one on my new trailer for a backup camera and one inside horse compartment. Quality is excellent and it has sound. I bought it from a company in lafayette LA you can search it to find them. Excellent quality and its there brand of equipment. They sell all the major brands and are very helpful. Its super easy to hook up. I honestly bought it for a test just to see how good they work but I really like it.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)