'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
more newbie basic questions

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-10-16 4:27 PM
5 replies, 2856 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

bdkcu
Reg. Oct 2006
Posted 2006-10-16 11:45 AM (#50139)
Subject: more newbie basic questions

New User

Newbie to almost everything here.  I've been told (but I don't believe it) that it's safe to pull a two horse bumper pull trailer with no brakes loaded with two (small/medium) arabians with an automatic Ford Explorer with the Class 3/4 hitch package.  Having said that:

1.  Is it safe to pull any two horse trailer with no brakes on the trailer?

2.  Is it safe to pull a two horse trailer with the above mentioned Explorer?

3.  I'm looking at small (used) two horse trailers, no living quarters to keep the weight down.  Can you make any suggestions based on the horse/SUV size? 

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
SLICKRNSNOT
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-10-16 11:57 AM (#50142 - in reply to #50139)
Subject: RE: more newbie basic questions

Elite Veteran

Welcome and to reply to your question,no.

Just My opinyon.Others may say yes.

See the other post about a toyota pulling a trailer.

It is from experience that this person writes.

Good info for all with same question.

jdzaharia
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2006-10-16 1:09 PM (#50148 - in reply to #50139)

Extreme Veteran

I would not pull any horse trailer without brakes. Even a two-horse trailer with two 800 lb horses and a couple hundred pounds of tack, water, and gear could weigh 4000 lbs. In the states I am familiar with it would be illegal to haul that way without brakes. I would surely consider it unsafe.

With trailer brakes, I would say you could haul with your Explorer. It would not be my first choice of tow vehicle, though.
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-10-16 1:25 PM (#50150 - in reply to #50139)

Expert

Originally written by bdkcu on 2006-10-16 10:45 AM

Newbie to almost everything here.  I've been told (but I don't believe it) that it's safe to pull a two horse bumper pull trailer with no brakes loaded with two (small/medium) arabians with an automatic Ford Explorer with the Class 3/4 hitch package.  Having said that:

3.  I'm looking at small (used) two horse trailers, no living quarters to keep the weight down.  Can you make any suggestions based on the horse/SUV size? 

Welcome to the forum... The stupid question is the one un-asked.

1) Most US states require brakes on trailers over 1500 pounds.  One horse, alone could weigh that much.   So you need to have brakes on the trailer to haul safely... and legally.

2) An Explorer ?  I'd be very careful with a conventional horse trailer.

3) a Brenderup trailer... or similar type horse trailer.

chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2006-10-16 4:25 PM (#50162 - in reply to #50139)

Expert

Originally written by bdkcu on 2006-10-16 12:45 PM

1.  no it is not safe to pull a horse trailer without brakes, and has already been mentioned........probably not legal either, iirc new mexico is 3000#.

2.  maybe.  need full info on exp (year, engine, rear end ratio, etc.) if the explorer has ~5000# towing capacity then yes it is safe, period.  of course, im very careful with any trailer, behind any of my vehicles. if it is the less capable model (~3500#) then you have a problem.

3.  as for the trailer, any "small" 2h straight load without a dressing room will easily be under 3000#, so even with some gear and 2 horses should keep it around 5000#.  i dont really see where your choices are limited.......if the explorer is capable.  a wdh would likely be required, be ready to spend the day at the scale house. most dealers dont know, or care enough to set them properly.

for reference, my real world experience. see my sig below, used the trailblazer/steel trailer combo for almost 2 years.  did so well i put off buying the dmax.  some people are afraid to work a gas engine,  the trailblazer did fine through the rolling hills of sc, and held interstate speeds (65mph) with ease.  performance is all relative,  the trailblazer may shift down and run 4000rpm on occasion, but that was no more irritating to me than listening to the dmax screaming along at 2600 rpm.  they both stop fine, the biggest difference would be not having to lug 100# of wdh out to the dmax. good luck.

Edited by chadsalt 2006-10-16 4:31 PM
chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2006-10-16 4:27 PM (#50163 - in reply to #50162)

Expert

oops.

Edited by chadsalt 2006-10-16 4:32 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format