'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Chassis/Cab - Long vs Longer.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-10-12 6:54 PM
5 replies, 3019 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-10-11 6:41 AM (#49881)
Subject: Chassis/Cab - Long vs Longer.

Expert

I've been browsing the truck lots recently.
'06 "clearance sales", etc.

My '03 Duramax is a Chassis/Cab with an 8 1/2 ft Hillsboro body on it, I like it and "would do the same again".

Here's the Question;
Who would go for a longer wheelbase truck ?
Assuming the same cab dimensions the only difference would be the cab to axle length (84 instead of 60), the corresponding extra 2ft in the wheelbase, a bit more weight, but I don't haul to capacity anyway.
I could transfer the flatbed that I have and add some sort of cross box to take up the space, or I could sell that bed with the '03 truck and buy a new 10ft bed - I s'pose I could even keep both trucks, but thats a separate decision from the 84 vs 60.

How much more difficult would the longer truck be to get in/out/around places and things ?
I know its only 2ft, but it puts the coupler back 2ft and I'm wondering how much manuverability I would lose. A longer truck swings wider when doing back-up turns, etc. The coupler is another 2ft from the steering wheels.

Bahh, to much to think through this early (-:

Thoughts & opinions of others ?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
BigT
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-10-11 8:17 AM (#49884 - in reply to #49881)
Subject: RE: Chassis/Cab - Long vs Longer.

Extreme Veteran

I would be concerned with the distance from the gooseneck ball to the back of the flatbed. Would the new 10' flatbed have angled corners so it wouldn't hit the trailer. It seem I have read recently that someone bought a new truck with a  10' bed and had trouble with the clearance between the bed and the trailer.
RTSmith
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2006-10-11 10:08 AM (#49895 - in reply to #49881)

Elite Veteran

Reg, I have both. You'll love the extra space on the 10' bed when you haul "stuff". And it rides much, much better on the highway. But if you're used to backing around with your 8', you'll squall the first time you get into a tight space! It's just doesn't cut around as fast as what you're used to now.
RTSmith
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2006-10-11 12:20 PM (#49906 - in reply to #49881)

Expert

I would let the old bed go with the 03 truck and get the longer wheelbase chassis and the 10' bed. Not that much more money but alot more room for a tool box, fuel tank, junk and stuff! I do believe that the 2' longer chassis will ride a little better when running empty/unloaded/not pulling the trailer. Get you a new 06 Duramax before the 07 clogged with smog engines show up. While you are at it, a new truck deserves a..................NEW TRAILER! 6 horse H2H with enough room in the center isle to slip 2 or 3 more in in case of an emergency. Nice use 2003 Dream Coach about 35 miles west of me in Wendell N.C. It's listed in the trailers for sale section of this site. It would look good behind my 3500 but my funds are running a little shy at the moment! OR, maybe a new Sundowner 761D. That trailer and a new 3500 Duramax should about take care of $100K.

Edited by retento 2006-10-11 1:03 PM
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-10-11 6:49 PM (#49921 - in reply to #49884)

Expert

Originally written by BigT on 2006-10-11 8:17 AM

I would be concerned with the distance from the gooseneck ball to the back of the flatbed. Would the new 10' flatbed have angled corners so it wouldn't hit the trailer. It seem I have read recently that someone bought a new truck with a 10' bed and had trouble with the clearance between the bed and the trailer.

That is one of the (other) attractive things about the Hillsboro flatbed body.
The goose ball is built into it, so it is already the "right" distance from the corners and the axle centerline, it is also neatly under a trap door.
The only times I've wished I had angled corners on the bed have been when I've parked with an angle between the truck and the trailer and THEN wanted to walk between them.

The thing about selling the '03 without the flatbed would be that whoever buys it could put what they really want on it, e.g. a dump, and not discard what is there. There are some neat tool/storage box sets that go between the cab and body, maybe a couple of boxes on one side and a tall "locker" on the other side. I can't remember the name right now.
The only drawback is that they totally obscure the truck's rear window - I might have to re-invent the plunger if I got one.
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-10-12 6:54 PM (#50017 - in reply to #49881)

Expert

Its OFF.
The box set I was thinking about is called a "backpack" (in New England, though that might be a regional thing). It is about 2ft long, which is about the same as the rear seat and rear door set on a crew cab.

It all makes sense, for the given long wheelbase you can have a regular cab plus 10 ft bed, or regular cab plus 2ft backpack plus 8 ft bed, or crewcab plus 8ft bed.
I really want to NOT have the manuvering problems that go with the crew cab and 8ft bed and I do want the 8 ft bed, so I'll stick with what I have.
Bahh, not worth trading a 3 year young diesel, depreciation exceeds deterioration, so I'll keep it (-:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)