'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Fuel pressure regulator, 99 F-250, V-10

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-09-08 8:20 PM
5 replies, 2301 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Kansashoss
Reg. Aug 2005
Posted 2006-09-08 4:01 PM (#48148)
Subject: Fuel pressure regulator, 99 F-250, V-10

This is horse trailer related because I'm suppose to haul out w/ horses for an overnight on Sat but have concerns.  I've got a time slot in the truck repair shop on Mon for my '99 F-250, V-10 SD Ford.  Today my neighbor who runs an Import Auto repair gave me his hunch based on what I told him.  First, the Ford dealership checked the electrical systems this a.m.- starter & battery were fine.  Anyway, neighbor thinks I may have a fuel pressure regular problem/hot soak restart issue.  My question is this- if that is the problem, can I get stranded?  I just noticed this last week when running errands and then again today which is partly how neighbor came to his hunch.  Truck does fine with long sits inbetween starts.  But is there a point where the whole regulator goes "kerplunk" and you get no pressure and are sunk, have to be towed or do waaay more damage? 

I am trying to weigh the odds between skipping the overnight event an hour away at a state park verses going.  Hunches?  Odds takers???   (Make your comments easily understandable because I am a girl and engine challanged!!  )

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
hconley
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2006-09-08 6:03 PM (#48149 - in reply to #48148)
Subject: RE: Fuel pressure regulator, 99 F-250, V-10

Extreme Veteran

Mine has been doing the same thing, the most that could happen is consumption would go up, IF it is a regulator. you may notice lack of power or misfires long before it leaves you stranded and one hour each way won't hurt none. BUT DO WHAT YOU FEEL COMFORTABLE WITH. Don't do it because "I SAID" It is your truck and you have the feel for it.
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-09-08 6:16 PM (#48150 - in reply to #48148)

Expert

Originally written by Kansashoss on 2006-09-08 4:01 PM

This is horse trailer related because I'm suppose to haul out w/ horses for an overnight on Sat but have concerns. I've got a time slot in the truck repair shop on Mon for my '99 F-250, V-10 SD Ford. Today my neighbor who runs an Import Auto repair gave me his hunch based on what I told him. First, the Ford dealership checked the electrical systems this a.m.- starter & battery were fine. Anyway, neighbor thinks I may have a fuel pressure regular problem/hot soak restart issue. My question is this- if that is the problem, can I get stranded? I just noticed this last week when running errands and then again today which is partly how neighbor came to his hunch. Truck does fine with long sits inbetween starts. But is there a point where the whole regulator goes "kerplunk" and you get no pressure and are sunk, have to be towed or do waaay more damage?

I am trying to weigh the odds between skipping the overnight event an hour away at a state park verses going. Hunches? Odds takers??? (Make your comments easily understandable because I am a girl and engine challanged!! )

OK, its horse trailering "related", perhaps in a way that isn't immediately obvious (-:
Trailering tends to increase underhood temperatures, and can aggravate "hot soak" or "hot soak re-start" issues.

Some suggestions;
a) Ask this question in the truck forums.
b) Avoid hot start situations, i.e. drive it there, park it, start it cold the next morning, drive home.
c) Use tow/haul mode and overdrive lock-out if you have it. This will generally keep all your fluids and whole engine compartment cooler.

Odds taking ?
I'd say a very slim chance of getting stranded and a low/no chance of causing any consequential mechanical damage before monday.
In the longer term; This might be a failure that is starting out intermittently, over time it could get worse, i.e. occur at lower temperatures, after running for shorter times, etc., but still no consequential mechanical damage.

Whatever the odds (probabilities) consider what you will do IF it totally quits. My guess is that if it will start then it will make the 1 hour drive, but have the cell number of someone who can (and is willing to) help you.
Kansashoss
Reg. Aug 2005
Posted 2006-09-08 7:11 PM (#48153 - in reply to #48148)

Appreciate both of the imputs!!  Thank you both and thanks Reg for letting me stretch it a bit asking it here. 

Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-09-08 7:23 PM (#48155 - in reply to #48153)

Expert

Originally written by Kansashoss on 2006-09-08 7:11 PM

Appreciate both of the imputs!! Thank you both and thanks Reg for letting me stretch it a bit asking it here.

I have no "permissions" to give or withold (-:
Kansashoss
Reg. Aug 2005
Posted 2006-09-08 8:20 PM (#48159 - in reply to #48148)

Ooops, I had promoted you to "Moderator" status. 
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)