'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Galvaneal Trl vs. Aluminum...

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-06-03 9:15 PM
5 replies, 3615 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

walker
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-05-28 8:29 AM (#42337)
Subject: Galvaneal Trl vs. Aluminum...

I'm going to be upgrading from a steel stock trailer to something a little nicer.

I'm comparing the aluminum trailers to a local company that make trailers from a product called Galvaneal.  It isn't supposed to rust and I've seen several that are older and still look great. 

My question is, that I think the framing is steel and I'm afraid that this will eventually start to rust.  does anyone have a trailer made with this product and how is it holding up?  Any rust in the frame or welds?  How old is your trailer made of this material?

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Rich M.
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2006-05-28 9:43 PM (#42347 - in reply to #42337)
Subject: RE: Galvaneal Trl vs. Aluminum...

Veteran

Hello, if you search this site you'll find a huge dearth of opinions one way or the other in this debate. Personal preference with consideration to amount of usage, local weather, storage and maintenance all play a factor. I have a galvaneel trailer and am very happy with it. Touch up the dings yearly and undercoat or paint the undercarriage and with reasonable maintenance you'll have a trailer that serves you well for many years. I still have 1975 Hart BP 2 horse that is steel ( not galvaneel) and has been well cared for. The frame and floor are rock solid. Yes rust creeps in and every few years it gets sanded down and a new coat of paint. IMHO a galvaneel trailer will put up with alot more corrosion than aluminum if both were faced with poor upkeep. I only needed to see an aluminum semi gondola trailer broke in half on the highway once to make up my mind. Just my 2 cents ask questions, research, review for yourself.
rkranchgirl
Reg. Aug 2005
Posted 2006-05-30 3:14 PM (#42409 - in reply to #42337)

Regular

I have an '02 Galvaneal, it still looks great.  I am in MN and do not have the option of storing it inside, so it is exposed to the elements and holding up tremendously. I do pull in the winter as well and the salt hasn't been a problem.  Just regular washing and it does great!!  Good Luck!
jdzaharia
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2006-05-30 5:36 PM (#42416 - in reply to #42337)

Extreme Veteran

One thing you have to remember is that most, if not all, galvaneal trailers still have plain rolled steel structures.  The galvanealled part is usually only the sheet steel.  Welds are susceptible to rust.  But, if you take good care of it, it will last a long time.  Also, manufacturers normally put a better primer/paint system on galvaneal trailers than they do on regular steel trailers.
Ruth
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2006-06-02 10:52 PM (#42592 - in reply to #42337)

We bought a steel frame with aluminum skin back in 2002 and within 24 months we were seeing rust in way too many areas. In 2004 we sold that trailer and purchased a new Hawk 3 horse/living qtr. trailer It offers a total galvaneal frame structure with aluminum skin. we did our research and found this to be a great combination. So far we have not seen ANY rust. Last year at a campground we saw a Hawk trailer almost identical to ours and asked the couple how they liked their trailer. I was shocked to find out their trailer was 7 years old and looked almost new. They agreed the galvaneal frame was a contributing facter to the condition of their trailer. Check into the Hawk brand trailer. It is a small company but they build a great trailer.
Monsterhorse
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-06-03 9:15 PM (#42603 - in reply to #42337)

Veteran

I have a 2003 S&H 2Horse BP Galvaneal trailer. It is in excellent shape. The only place i see a little rust is in the hinges on the doors to the horses head. Not really even enough to mention and a little WD 40 would probably take care of it. I have just bought an all aluminum trailer because i needed a 3 horse. Some people think that an aluminum trailer comes with no mantenance however, it is very important to keep the floors of these trailers clean. The acid from a horses urine will pit the aluminum floor, I am very pleased with my Galvaneal trailer and the fact that it has held its value so well, I can ask exactly what I paid for it over a year ago because it has not aged one bit. and I live in Florida(Rust capital of the U.S.)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)