'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Trailer Brakes??? Where....

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-05-01 9:52 AM
5 replies, 3088 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

canrunnr
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2006-04-30 7:33 PM (#41118)
Subject: Trailer Brakes??? Where....

New User

does one buy brake pads for a trailer? Can I just go to the local auto store?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-04-30 7:47 PM (#41120 - in reply to #41118)
Subject: RE: Trailer Brakes??? Where....

Expert

Originally written by canrunnr on 2006-04-30 8:33 PM

does one buy brake pads for a trailer? Can I just go to the local auto store?

Hi and Welcome to the Forum.

Yes, most NAPA outlets either have them or can get them overnight, so do RV and boat trailer places.

You didn't ask this part, but here's an extra tip;
If the brakes are more than a few years old the chances are good that there will be rust on a lot of the little springs and securing clips.
Many trailer places now carry whole assemblies, i.e. backing plate, shoes, magnet, bearing set.
This saves the problem of flying springs and clips that get found a week later by the lawn mower and you know that everything is NEW and correctly assembled (just in case you doubt your skills).
These are "a few bux" more than just the shoes and can be WELL worth it.

Edited by Reg 2006-04-30 7:51 PM
canrunnr
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2006-04-30 8:30 PM (#41123 - in reply to #41118)

New User

Thank you so much. I've just bought the trailer and it is used. I'm just trying to figure out ways to save costs. Especially since the trailer place is an hour away. Another question for you.....do I just ask for trailer brake pads? Or assemblies? Or do I need to give them specifics?
RideAPaint
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2006-04-30 9:04 PM (#41124 - in reply to #41118)

Well, since you're an hour away, I would call first and describe what you have. If they think / say they have it, I would also take at least one assy. apart and take the parts with me. That way you can match up the parts.

There's nothing worse than starting a project like that, only to find out you've got the wrong parts. And you've broken some of the springs / clips, And it's  9:00 friday evening with the "big" horse show tomorrow - early!!!   

At least that's my luck.

jdzaharia
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2006-05-01 8:48 AM (#41140 - in reply to #41124)

Extreme Veteran

Most trailers have one of a few standard sizes of brakes.  Measure the inside diameter of the drum and the width of the brake shoe.  Ex: 10 x 2 1/4 or 12 x 2.
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-05-01 9:52 AM (#41143 - in reply to #41123)

Expert

Originally written by canrunnr on 2006-04-30 9:30 PM

Thank you so much. I've just bought the trailer and it is used. I'm just trying to figure out ways to save costs. Especially since the trailer place is an hour away. Another question for you.....do I just ask for trailer brake pads? Or assemblies? Or do I need to give them specifics?

NAPA, RV centers, marinas, etc will know NOTHING about the specifics that you don't tell them. A horse trailer dealership with a GOOD service department might be able to look it up by make, model, year, etc., although if your trailer is a brand they don't carry you might be out of luck.
As another reply suggested, take a drum off and measure it, also measure the shoe width and look for a manufacturer's mark, e.g. "Dexter".
SOME drums have a machining spec cast into them, e.g.
"Do not machine above 10.186 inches" something like that. Phone ahead and take the drum with you anyway.

re: saving money: If you have SOME lining left and the drum isn't too scored your minimum cost will be a set of shoes, you might be able to get a set of springs and clips for $10 or $15 and if there is a lot of rust you'll need them. One approach would be to buy everything for just 2 brakes and see what you need to actually use. You might not need all the parts on all the wheels, e.g. magnets don't wear evenly, rust seems to visit right hand side more than left side, rear axle brakes wear faster than front axle brakes, etc.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)