'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
My roof top camper vent thing blew off - replacement?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-04-03 8:42 PM
5 replies, 3003 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Kansashoss
Reg. Aug 2005
Posted 2006-04-02 7:49 PM (#39901)
Subject: My roof top camper vent thing blew off - replacement?

This was a "what the heck moment".  I was returning home from Iowa today and stopped for fuel in MO.  While standing there I hear "whack" and look on the ground to see the plastic roof top camper vent shell from my horse trailer dressing room laying there beside the tank. 

Okay, the trailer is two years old and I have not opened that vent since the state fair last September.  I have no idea how the wind, and it was horribly strong today, lifted a closed top.  Only guess is maybe it wiggled loose a little and the wind caught it however, we've had boo-koos of rain recently and there was no water in my dressing room when I left yesterday or from the heck of a storm I endured in Iowa overnight.

Does there exist a metal version to use instead of plastic??  I really dont want to have to replace this part every 24 months.  I can call Titan in the morning and order a plastic one, if I have too.  For now I've duct taped the broken pieces back over the opening and did a duct tape/garbage bag deal on the inside.  I'm feeling slightly white trashy with this decor.    Anyone want a beer??

Anyway, back to my question- am I stuck w/ plastic or does a better repair exist???  Help please!

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
MIfarmbabe
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-04-03 7:28 AM (#39916 - in reply to #39901)
Subject: RE: My roof top camper vent thing blew off - replacement?

Extreme Veteran

Probably one of those "crap happens" kind of things and may never happen again. Just get another one and replace, very easy to do and inexpensive.
maccwall
Reg. May 2004
Posted 2006-04-03 5:15 PM (#39933 - in reply to #39916)

Extreme Veteran

I never had a problem with wind with our trailer that had a vent, but the tree limbs sure liked them. Lost 2 of them to trees, one of which I had left open...Duhhh. Had both of mine replaced with the plastic ones. Bought them from an RV place. Have not noticed any metal ones. Sory I'm not much help.

paintthatain't
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2006-04-03 7:22 PM (#39935 - in reply to #39901)

Regular

In the good ol' days most campers had aluminum vent covers but they had pros & cons also. I agree with the earlier posts. Replace it with another plastic one and odds are it'll be fine. I always remember the sweat dripping off the aluminum vents when the heat was on, makes for cold wet feet in the morning......

Good luck,    PTA

Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-04-03 7:24 PM (#39936 - in reply to #39901)

Expert

Originally written by Kansashoss on 2006-04-02 8:49 PM

This was a "what the heck moment". I was returning home from Iowa today and stopped for fuel in MO. While standing there I hear "whack" and look on the ground to see the plastic roof top camper vent shell from my horse trailer dressing room laying there beside the tank.

Okay, the trailer is two years old and I have not opened that vent since the state fair last September. I have no idea how the wind, and it was horribly strong today, lifted a closed top. Only guess is maybe it wiggled loose a little and the wind caught it however, we've had boo-koos of rain recently and there was no water in my dressing room when I left yesterday or from the heck of a storm I endured in Iowa overnight.

Does there exist a metal version to use instead of plastic?? I really dont want to have to replace this part every 24 months. I can call Titan in the morning and order a plastic one, if I have too. For now I've duct taped the broken pieces back over the opening and did a duct tape/garbage bag deal on the inside. I'm feeling slightly white trashy with this decor. Anyone want a beer??

Anyway, back to my question- am I stuck w/ plastic or does a better repair exist??? Help please!

Were you around the edge of a storm that was on the news today ?
and
What brand & model trailer is this for ?
Kansashoss
Reg. Aug 2005
Posted 2006-04-03 8:42 PM (#39939 - in reply to #39901)

I called the Titan factory late today and the gal was so helpful.  The new unit is in the mail and it only set me back $35. 

Yes Reg, the wind which picked this off was related to the storms.  I had crossed into MO on 1-35, around 2:00 when this happened- my hunch is the winds were sustained at 25-30 with gust much, much higher.  The 18 wheelers, especially the ones pulling two trailers, seemed to be really having a hard drive down the highway.  The trailer is a 2004 Titan Classic, 2 horse GN.  No complaints about the trailer, I'd buy another Titan in a nanno second.  This was just plain odd cuz the dang thing was not open. 

Bad news is rain is forecast for Weds night.  I've got a mare to take back for a preg check on Weds so the rig will be gone all day- gotta get a tarp on it ASAP that night.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)