'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Trailer tire rims....

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-03-28 12:20 PM
5 replies, 2769 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

cowpony01
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-03-27 6:20 PM (#39614)
Subject: Trailer tire rims....

Extreme Veteran

Ok,

I have a two horse slant load gooseneck trailer. It came with radials and do not like how they ride. I have always had bias on my trailers and do not have a problem with sway, towing, braking, etc. Can I change out the radial trailer tires and put bias on the same rims that the radials came off of? I can't seem to find any answers. I know radials can't go on bias rims due to the pressure of flexxing from the radials. So I should be able to stick bias on the radial rims since bias put no pressure on the rims. Any answers??????

Edited by cowpony01 2006-03-27 6:40 PM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-03-27 6:59 PM (#39617 - in reply to #39614)
Subject: RE: Trailer tire rims....

Expert

Originally written by cowpony01 on 2006-03-27 7:20 PM

Ok,

I have a two horse slant load gooseneck trailer. It came with radials and do not like how they ride. I have always had bias on my trailers and do not have a problem with sway, towing, braking, etc. Can I change out the radial trailer tires and put bias on the same rims that the radials came off of? I can't seem to find any answers. I know radials can't go on bias rims due to the pressure of flexxing from the radials. So I should be able to stick bias on the radial rims since bias put no pressure on the rims. Any answers??????

Hi and Welcome.
The quick anser is "Yes".
I think you've picked up some bad info somewhere, I really dodn't understand that bit about different tires exerting different pressures on the rims - as some function of the carcass constuction (weird).
AFAIK either tire type can go on the same rim, i.e. there are no special rims for bias ply tires and different special rims for radial ply tires - though the tire guy will probably try to sell you a new set of rims anyway (-:

Radials are fine as long as you don't overinflate them, which many people do because they "look flat" due to the more compliant sidewalls - not that radials actually HAVE sidewalls, but that was what they were called once_upon_a_long_ago.
Then France (Michelin actually) brought enlightenment to the new world (-:
J D
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2006-03-28 9:53 AM (#39644 - in reply to #39614)

To each there own but why are you having problems with the radials are they low on air, are they out of round or balance, give them a try before changing to bias, they will give a worse ride for the animals and think about it do you run byas on your truck or car change them also if you don't like radials, there is such a thing of one or more of your radials being bad with the side wall seperating there could also be another problem the is reflecting to the tires making it look like they are the problem.
If you do change tires they do make a radial tube that would work on your byas rim but never run a byas tube in a radial it will over heat.
Good luck on what you do.
cowpony01
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-03-28 10:57 AM (#39651 - in reply to #39614)

Extreme Veteran

I have towed with these tires for a year, and they are s**t. It doesn't matter how I adjust the air, etc.  I towed for years with our cattle gooseneck with bias and our horses are fine with them. They are cattle horses so rough ride is no biggie to them. I do go off road alot with the trailers also and bias can with stand the bruising of these rough roads. ( I may drive up to 8 miles off road until I get to my trailhead spot, and needing to drive 10- 15 mph at times due to the road being so bad) I think the only people that use radials on their trailers around here are a few horse people that show, for the comfort of their horses. (nothing against show, just that's the only people that use them) I had just never heard of that you can't put bias on the same rims as radials. I believe the tire guy was wanting to sell rims and tires to make his money. Then I thought back last night, on my old Miley, I had radials and switched them out and put bias on them and it was fine. As long as the width of the tire matched the rim. I do appreciate all and any info anyone has the more opinions the more options of finding the right answer, I'm having fun reading on this forum

xyzer
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2006-03-28 11:17 AM (#39653 - in reply to #39651)

Extreme Veteran

Cowpony....I haven't heard of the matched rim issue.....when radials came out they stuck em on whatever rim they could find. As far as your reason for using the bias ply tires I agree! They have more plys on the sidewall and are less prone to getting a sidewall cut running down rockey unimproved roads. I've been there! Just fixed the bad one instead of buying a whole new set of bias.....gotta wear em out first!
Flooper
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2006-03-28 12:20 PM (#39656 - in reply to #39614)

Veteran

I have never heard of "radial" rims and "bias ply" rims. As far as I know, you choose rims by size, pressure capacity and material ( 16 X 6, 16 x 6.5, etc. steel, alloy or aluminum, 2700, 3100 psi capacity, etc.). As long as the rim is the right size and capacity for a tire, it wil work. Have never seen a rim listed as "radial" or "bias". I think your tire dealer is full of it.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)