'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Missing Title for 1974 Trail-et

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2013-08-06 8:39 AM
5 replies, 5031 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

paradise.valley59
Reg. Aug 2013
Posted 2013-08-04 7:37 PM (#153814)
Subject: Missing Title for 1974 Trail-et

New User

I just finished fixing up a 2 horse trailer that I bought at the beginning of the summer, but unfortunately, the previous owner didn't have a title, so all we have at the moment is a Bill of Sale. It also, as far as I can tell, doesn't have a VIN #, although it does have an identification number and manufacture information on it. Is it true that older trailers don't always have an VIN, and if so, does this change anything about the process of getting it registered?

I called the DOT, and the ID number from the trailer didn't match anything from their database, so they told me the only option I had was to put a bond on it with an insurance company for five years to get a VIN, if I understood correctly. They made this process sound pretty expensive, compared to the amount I originally paid for the trailer, so I've been looking into other options.

Would it be possible to contact Trail-et to see if they can get the title from the identification number? I know they got sold off, so I'm not sure who I'd contact to find out.

Otherwise, I was also told to look into getting it registered as a homemade trailer, and was wondering if anyone from Wisconsin has done this before and how strict they are.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
BigT
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2013-08-04 7:54 PM (#153817 - in reply to #153814)
Subject: RE: Missing Title for 1974 Trail-et

Extreme Veteran

Trail-et is out of business.
paradise.valley59
Reg. Aug 2013
Posted 2013-08-04 8:01 PM (#153818 - in reply to #153817)

New User

Sorry, that's what I meant by sold off. Did a different company buy them out, who I'd be able to contact instead?
bjhouten
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2013-08-04 8:08 PM (#153819 - in reply to #153814)

Extreme Veteran

When I bought a trailer from someone in OK it did not have a title. I was able to take the bill of sale to the Collin County Tax department in Texas and they were very happy to take my money and give me a title. But it did have a VIN on it. Its different in every state. I'd just go down to the office with anything you have and tell them you want to register it and see what happens. You might take the trailer with you in case they want to inspect it.
Linda Y
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2013-08-06 7:58 AM (#153858 - in reply to #153814)

Extreme Veteran

I bought an old Merhow once that didn't have a title. I registered it as a homemade trailer. As they said, they will probably be happy to take your money, regardless. If you are fixing it up you won't be too far off the truth, anyway!
brokenboot
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2013-08-06 8:39 AM (#153861 - in reply to #153814)

Regular

I bought a 2 horse bumper pull in Wisconsin last year.  The person who sold it to me said the title was in the glove box of her husband's truck that was in the body shop after being in an accident, but she had a photocopy of the title from when she first purchased the trailer and the VIN numbers matched on that paper matched the tag on the trailer.  I trusted that she'd follow up with the original and we pulled the trailer back to Minnesota.  After numerous phone calls and just as many excuses, I realized I was not going to recieve any title from that person.  I contacted the motor vehicle departments in both states and discovered I had a worthless trailer unless I could somehow get a duplicate title.  I did some research and found the person who sold it to the woman I bought it from and discovered the title had never been transferred ... probably to avoid sales tax.  I was happy to pay her for her time and the cost of a replacement duplicate title, which she had to apply for in Wisconsin, and several months later I finally had the title.  I then had it transferred to myself in Minnesota.  I learned the same lesson I should have learned long, long ago ... never purchase a vehicle, including a trailer, with the promise of a title.  If there isn't a clear title in hand, I walk away.  My advice to you is to contact the person you bought it from and ask them to apply for a duplicate title.  It should be an easier process for you because you're also in Wisconsin.  Best of luck to you ...
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)