'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Need all the help I can get oh wise ones!!!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2011-10-30 9:22 PM
5 replies, 4053 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

NoIdea
Reg. Oct 2011
Posted 2011-10-28 11:32 AM (#138580)
Subject: Need all the help I can get oh wise ones!!!

I am starting my search for a trailer without having owned one for over 10 years. When I bought my last trailer (just a 2h slant load Trails West) slant loads were all the rage.

What I'm wondering is: are there new studies out showing new findings on slant versus straight hauls?

What do you all think about the gooseneck versus bumperpull? Does a gooseneck provide a smoother ride for the horse??

For brief background: I am looking for a 2 or 3 horse, warmblood size. I am currently looking at trucks (that may be my next cry for help :) but I am going to be getting a 3/4 tonne whichever truck I end up with. I will be doing mostly short hauls with the trailer and will not necessarily be using it a lot but I would like to have one as I have my horse on my property now.

I would very much appreciate any advice as I am feeling a bit overwhelmed and I do not want to end up with buyer's regret :) My biggest concerns are safey and the comfort of my horse.

Thank you!

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
adeberti
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2011-10-28 4:13 PM (#138582 - in reply to #138580)
Subject: RE: Need all the help I can get oh wise ones!!!

Veteran

Usually straight loads are better suited for bigger horses, however a "true" warmblood slant trailer will do just as well (7'6" tall, 7+wide and wider stalls). We have a GN 3h warmblood slant with 50" wide stalls that accommodates well my almost 18h draft. The trailer is basically just as long as a regular 4h. Another thing to consider is the angle of the deviders: always try to go for longer stalls.Before we had a 4h BP and the GN is much more stable and provides a better ride for the horses and for occupants in the truck (same truck in both cases 05 F350)I would figure out first the trailer (small supply) you want and afterwards the truck (large supply). Make sure you understand the implications of a shortbed vs a long one if you are going with a GN and a non-tapered nose.Most people always like to have an extra stall for "stuff" if going for a long haul,camping, etc.
NoIdea
Reg. Oct 2011
Posted 2011-10-28 5:01 PM (#138583 - in reply to #138580)

Thanks for the response! I think I will go for a gooseneck and either have 2h straight or 3 horse slant and try to modify it to a 2 horse slant for the extra room.

Also very good advice re: finding the trailer first. I have found that it is a very small pool to choose from especially since I am looking for a warmblood size.

In terms of long bed or short bed - which is better for hauling a gooseneck?

Thanks!

adeberti
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2011-10-28 6:05 PM (#138584 - in reply to #138580)

Veteran

The problems with GN and bed length is that when backing at a severe angle (close to 90deg) the nose of the trailer might hit the cab. With a long bed(8ft) there isn't really a problem, but with shorter beds it becomes more of an issue. There are several extenders that can help (basically pushing back the hitch point to give you a few more inches) and most newer trailers have tapered nose (also helps aerodynamics wise). With our current setup we can almost jackknife, but it's not that 90deg is the holy grail. I would just take measurements and create a little diagram to see how close you can get. I will also check bed lengths not all makes have the same length: for example the Dodge Mecacab (not the crewcab) has a significantly short bed than Ford/Chevy
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2011-10-29 1:21 AM (#138597 - in reply to #138583)

Expert

Originally written by NoIdea on 2011-10-28 5:01 PM

Thanks for the response! I think I will go for a gooseneck and either have 2h straight or 3 horse slant and try to modify it to a 2 horse slant for the extra room.

Also very good advice re: finding the trailer first. I have found that it is a very small pool to choose from especially since I am looking for a warmblood size.

In terms of long bed or short bed - which is better for hauling a gooseneck?

Thanks!

If you are going to get a two horse straight load...don't be dismissing a bumper pullout of hand...for one thing they are easier to resell than a 2 horse GN. Main reason is that people can use an SUV to pull them...
loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2011-10-30 9:22 PM (#138632 - in reply to #138580)

Expert

I haul my belgium In a straight load gooseneck , truck is a 6ft bed
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World