'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Generator help, PLEASE!!!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2011-04-17 6:39 AM
5 replies, 4169 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

crosscreek1
Reg. Apr 2011
Posted 2011-04-15 8:25 PM (#133034)
Subject: Generator help, PLEASE!!!

New User

I bought a Platinum trailer 4 years ago with an almost new top mounted Generac generator. Bought it in the early spring....when hot TX weather forced us to use generator more than 2-4 hours at a time, it would quit. Took it to a generator mechanic who found nothing wrong. It would run all night fine, but when it was really hot in hte daytime, nope. Sometimes it spews oil when it 'blows up". It's in a metal box with ventilation...we cut a hole and added a small exhaust fan, but no luck. Any ideas? One chick on BHW said theirs had an "altitude sensor" go bad, which was attached to the (she was not sure)..carburator?, which had to be replaced. Any ideas?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
captclank
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2011-04-15 10:09 PM (#133037 - in reply to #133034)
Subject: RE: Generator help, PLEASE!!!

Veteran

I have had the same problem with my Generac. Only thing I found that helped was to take off the outside inspection panel to allow better airflow (when it was hot outside). I hope someone has some ideas that will help us both!
crosscreek1
Reg. Apr 2011
Posted 2011-04-16 9:30 PM (#133067 - in reply to #133034)

New User

Outside inspection panel.....huh....will try that...I posted on BHW, too, I'll check that thread, and see if anyone has another idea, and if they do I will let you know...thanks!
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2011-04-17 12:15 AM (#133080 - in reply to #133034)

Expert

Welcome to the forum ...  Can't tell you what's the problem, but here's how to fix it.

Since it is a heat related problem...

An engine needs only three things to run, air, fuel and ignition.  Obviously, they have to be in the proper amounts and at the proper time.

Air:  Might a hose or structure soften and collapse when heated?  This could cause an increase in vacuum that might suck oil out of the crankcase.  (A side ? .. Where does the oil come out of the genset ?)

Fuel:  Heat to a fuel line might cause the gasoline to vaporise in the suction line.  The fuel pump can't pull more liquid fuel since it's now sucking vapor.  More height between the fuel tank and the pump aggravates this problem.  Having the fuel supply above the pump helps,  (I think this is the likely problem since it's a roof top genset)

Ignition:  Electrical parts are notorious for failure when heated.  Look for a spark after the engine has shut down by restarting it with a plug laying on the cylinder head.  If you don't see the spark, then the ignition system is the cause.  Or the low oil level switch is tripped.

You might try to duplicate the heat conditions with a hair dryer on various parts to isolate the trouble area.

Edited by hosspuller 2011-04-17 12:17 AM
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2011-04-17 12:23 AM (#133081 - in reply to #133034)

Expert

More thinking on the fuel ... you might try insulating the fuel line , fuel pump, and carburator with pipe wrap.
Duckman
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2011-04-17 6:39 AM (#133082 - in reply to #133034)

Veteran

Generac's intake and exhaust from the bottom. Sometimes a baffle between the 2 sections will help it from reusing hot air. You could also unhook the temperature sensor and run synthetic oil in it.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)