'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
How old is too old?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2011-04-11 9:50 PM
5 replies, 5077 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

onward
Reg. Apr 2011
Posted 2011-04-07 5:39 AM (#132708)
Subject: How old is too old?

New User

Hi y'all... I've been reading this forum and it's sister sites for years, and would love your advice.

I'm in the market for a used, low price trailer to use on the weekends for my hubby and I to haul our horses to the local parks for trail rides.

I've seen many older models selling for around $2,500. 

What is the "age" limit of the trailer you would consider?  Saw a cutie the other day but it was 21 years old.  All four tires were dry rotted, and we'd need to purchase a new safety chain to pass inspection, as this trailer comes with cables.

How does one REALLY know how safe these older models are?

It was aluminum, also...

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2011-04-07 8:32 AM (#132715 - in reply to #132708)
Subject: RE: How old is too old?

Expert

The age only matters in relation to obtaining replacement parts. The condition is the primary concern. If the box, frame and floor are good and it's not a LQ, the maintenance is relatively minor. As you mentioned the tires will need replacement, also plan on replacing the wheel bearing, brake assemblies and perhaps some lights, wiring and a plug. Once these are addressed, the trailer should be trouble free for many years.

The concerns of older trailers are the doors, windows, their hinges and latches. If these are in good repair, then it may be a good trailer to own. Generally if an older trailer is in good repair, it has done so because it was well built and maintained. It's hard to put a value on a new, untested product. The older trailer will not depreciate any further, and if you add to its looks and options, whilst upgrading the mechanicals, you can actually increase its value.

For a non LQ trailer, if you have an initial $1000 maintenance fund, all of the present wearable items can usually be addressed and changed. You probably will have to invest in caulking and cleaning, but that is usually more labour than cost.

CTRider
Reg. Sep 2009
Posted 2011-04-07 11:21 AM (#132724 - in reply to #132708)

Extreme Veteran

And Gard dont forget springs, u bolts and shackles. It probably has that type of axles and that will probably all need replacing unless done recently.
onward
Reg. Apr 2011
Posted 2011-04-07 5:55 PM (#132749 - in reply to #132708)

New User

Thanks for all the useful information and great advice! Really appreciate it...
northernmom
Reg. Jan 2011
Posted 2011-04-07 8:38 PM (#132761 - in reply to #132749)

Regular

I have one that I`m getting ready to post for sale. 

It`s a 1968 Kingston 2H straight load.  I`ve owned it for about 3 years and it`s served me well.

The previous owner had upgraded all the wiring and added LED lights.  I replaced the brakes last year with no problem in finding parts.

I`d say it`s evidence that any well made trailer, properly cared for can have a very long service life.

goldhorse
Reg. Oct 2009
Posted 2011-04-11 9:50 PM (#132919 - in reply to #132708)

I just sold a 1990 Featherlite for more than I paid for it. Granted, I made some improvements like updating the safety chains, fixing the hinges, new tie rings, new brakeaway switch, etc. The floor was still in good shape. Only the weatherstripping was bad. I think that trailer will go for at least another 10 years.
I replaced it with a 1997 4-star that's in immaculate shape. I think it all depends on how the owner takes care of it. Just like used cars.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)