'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Awning on BP

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2011-04-10 4:07 PM
5 replies, 6111 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

lou
Reg. Aug 2009
Posted 2011-03-27 8:44 AM (#132193)
Subject: Awning on BP

Regular

Have any of you mounted a canopy on the side of a bp?  If so, how did you do it?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
jan97526
Reg. May 2010
Posted 2011-04-01 12:16 PM (#132493 - in reply to #132193)
Subject: RE: Awning on BP

New User

I have made and used the easiest and cheapest awning ever! I had small loops screwed into the trailer roof (at the bows) by a trailer dealer/repair shop. He used non rusting "d ring" type half circle loops and screws, and caulked around the screw heads. I use a $6.00 tarp from WalMart, and fasten it to the loops with bungies (the ones that have the little ball at one end). (You usually have to make little slits in the tarp to match the loops position except for the corners.) I found tent poles at the thrift store to use for holding up the outside edge. Tie little three ropes or cords into the outside grommets, drop a nail type stake into the same grommet holes and on into the tent pole ends. Set the tent poles upright and with the little rope or cord staked into the ground, you can pull the tarp tight. Wulla.........you have a great awning. Jan
brushycreekranch
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2011-04-02 8:09 AM (#132524 - in reply to #132193)

Just about any RV or horse trailer place can fix you right up!
siseley
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2011-04-09 3:44 PM (#132820 - in reply to #132193)

Extreme Veteran

A company called A&E makes awnings for any size trailer. Check with any R.V. outlet like Camping World, or Adventurv.netI had a 9FT one on my 2 horse slant, and it bolted to the vertical bars right through the skin at the top edge. It rolled up into it's own bag with a big zipper for storage and transport.
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2011-04-10 9:51 AM (#132841 - in reply to #132193)

Expert

Years ago, I was doing a lot of CTR and that required the horses to be tied to the trailer every night. Wanting to protect my trailer, I attached a sheet of vinyl.  This was used Billboard vinyl.  I had a neighbor that produce Billboards for national companies, When they ordered a 100, he always produced 105 or107 so he would have spares.  when the ad campaigns were over those spares got throw away.  So I would go grab some occassionally and use them to cover the hay stack and other thing. 

We got thinking we could make a protective cover for the side of my trailer.  We installed a "C" rail to the roof.  The vinyl had a 3/8 rope welded to one edge adn we would slip the rope inside the "C" rail and slide it into position.  The vinyl would drap down the side and I would bungie it under the trailer in 5-6 places. Since it passed over the catwalk and fenders of the trailer, It created a large airspace behind the vinyl. So if the horses did paw, they would bounce off the vinyl and not dent my trailer side. 

I did the same thing on the other side for an awning.  Instead of pulling it straight down, I pulled it out and staked it up with poles for shade.

The point being if you can't find a commercial awning that fits your trailer. You can be creative and make something that will work.  I made that awning and sideprotector with stuff that was being thrown away and the only cost was the "C"rail.

Some desert rides, there just was no place Except the trailer to tie the horses. So the vinyl really protected the side of my trailer and keep it looking nice.

lou
Reg. Aug 2009
Posted 2011-04-10 4:07 PM (#132856 - in reply to #132193)

Regular

Thanks for the info.  The reason I had asked is first we have a bumper pull, and 2nd my child is doing lots of playdays this summer, and here in Texas, it gets hot!  Some of the playdays are at arenas where there is absolutely no shade, for human or horse.  I had found an 8 ft awning in a local store, that was for an RV, but was less than $50.00 (discount store).  Just didn't know if it could be mounted.  It has since been sold, but left me with trying to figure out how to mount one on the trailer and if I could use a tarp.  Now I have that answer and instructions.  Thanks so much

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)