'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Overnight stay in southren Utah in late January

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-12-20 10:33 PM
5 replies, 5083 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

bjhouten
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2010-12-20 4:43 PM (#128214)
Subject: Overnight stay in southren Utah in late January

Extreme Veteran

I am traveling from Dallas to Salt Lake City between Jan 28th and the 30th. My plans put me in southren Utah on the 29th after a 8-9 hour drive from Tucumcari, NM. My current plans have me staying at Canyonloands Lodge in Monticello, UT. I was wondering if there was a choice that would keep me further south for awhile. I've been unable to locate another overnight spot in that part of Utah. Thanks, Betty
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2010-12-20 5:33 PM (#128218 - in reply to #128214)
Subject: RE: Overnight stay in southren Utah in late January

Expert

I'm not sure if you are just looking for places to ride on your way through, Or just for stop over places to put your horse up for the night.

Montecello is at 7000 foot, So it will be winter there in january.  But south of Montecello is Blanding Utah at 4500 foot elevation. Temps well be warmer and less snow.  Lots of canyons and indian ruins to ride around Blanding.  Suggest you look at www.fourcornerstrails.com and look at some of Sarahs past rides in that area.

Most counties in Utah have fairgrounds.  There is a great facility in Moab UT that has an indoor arena, many stalls. A nice facility. Cost about $10 per stall per night.  Big parking area to pull into.   Moab is a tourist town and has an abundance of Motels, resturants etc.  There is a lot of Mountain bike trails, Jeep and ATV trails in the area. The Back Country horsemen, frequently ride three trails for the monthly rides. If I remember right, Ken's lake, Onion Creek and something else. The arena in Moab is called  "The Old Spanish Trails Arena" More info at:  http://www.grandcountyutah.net/arena.htm

You can get trail maps and more info from the SouthEast Utah chapter of Back Country Horsemen.  http://www.bchu.com/  Look under SE chapter.

A little father north is Green River Utah. Not much there except for truck stops. But just west of Town is the San Rafael Swell.  We often camp and ride that area in the winter months.  It would be Primitive camping. But some great areas to ride. I usually camp near Goblin Valley at  Buckskin springs. There is some water in the creek for the horses to drink. There are usually cattle on the open range in that area, that time of year.  If you are packing enough water for your horses. There are a LOT of places to just pull off and primitive camp.  This is Butch Cassidy and Wild Bunch country.  It is very big and very remote. Again the Back Country Horseman chapter can give you some info on this area.  Check the above website under San Rafael Chapter heading.

The ranchers have  random corrals scattered around teh Swell. I frequently use them when I'm in the area if the ranchers are not using them.

These photos are from riding in the area last February.  You can see the snow is not very deep. But it really depends on the storm patterns.

Hope this gives you a few ideas.  If not feel free to contact me and I would be willing to talk over the phone or email about suggestions.

Jon

Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2010-12-20 5:41 PM (#128219 - in reply to #128214)

Expert

If you are trying to shorten the hours behind wheel on the NM-UT  leg of the trip.  Cortez CO has  a smaller fairground that you can spend the night in. Not a nice as the one in Moab, but still very suitable for an overnight stay.  Cortez would be about 30-40 miles short of Montecello and Moab would be 40 miles longer drive past Montecello.

Both Cortez and Moab are reasonable sized towns.  Montecello is  one gas station, one motel and two cafes. And everything closes up around 7-8 pm in the evening during the winter months.

bjhouten
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2010-12-20 8:46 PM (#128226 - in reply to #128214)

Extreme Veteran

Thanks for the suggestions. I think Monticello is the furthest I could go that day. That looks like a nine and half hour drive, and I am doing ten and half the day before. I want to allow for running into bad weather. If the weather is good and I make good time, I'll go on to Moab. I can carry enough water for the horses for one day if needed. I just checked my rooftop water tank the other day and saw the water spout had broken off. It would likely be frozen anyway. I think I will look for places to camp a long that part of the road in case I can't make the distance as planned.
bjhouten
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2010-12-20 8:52 PM (#128227 - in reply to #128214)

Extreme Veteran

Beautiful pictures of the area. I can't wait to trail ride in Utah! Very different than Texas.
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2010-12-20 10:33 PM (#128230 - in reply to #128214)

Expert

The area from Gallup NM to just south of Cortez is mostly indian reservation.  So populations are very sparse, it's wide open high desert country.

The area from Cortez into Montecello is most farm land.  Scattered homes and farms.

If you can't make it all the way into Montecello, I suggest you stay at the fairgrounds in Cortez.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)