'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Equalizer Electric Jack - Auto Reset Breakers

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-12-28 9:05 PM
5 replies, 7761 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

MsSilver
Reg. Dec 2009
Posted 2009-12-27 4:08 PM (#114592)
Subject: Equalizer Electric Jack - Auto Reset Breakers

Hi, a continuation of why electric jack does not operate with new batteries installed.  I have read most of Equalizer electric jack pages, installation and troubleshooting regarding the El Pac 2 gearbox and rotary switch wiring.  The diagrams show 2 40amp auto reset breakers between the switchgear and the 12VDC battery.  I do not see these breakers, could they be housed inside the switchgear box?  I do not want to take that swithgear box apart again if I do not have to.  Thank you for all your help, MsSilver
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
BigT
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2009-12-27 5:55 PM (#114594 - in reply to #114592)
Subject: RE: Equalizer Electric Jack - Auto Reset Breakers

Extreme Veteran

They sould be mounted in the battery box. Follow the red wire from the switch, to the positive side of the battery, the CB should be between the switch and the battery. Follow the black wire from the switch and make sure it is attached to the ground side of the battery.

MsSilver
Reg. Dec 2009
Posted 2009-12-27 6:41 PM (#114595 - in reply to #114592)

No, the breakers are not mounted anywhere to be seen. Simply the jack wiring is from one battery to switchgear and from switchgear to jack motor.  That is why I was wondering if breakers could be inside the switchgear box?  Still, jack worked 2 weeks ago before I changed out old Napa batteries for new fully charged Interstate batteries, copied wiring diagram prior to exchange. Thanks, MsSilver
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-12-27 9:37 PM (#114599 - in reply to #114592)

Expert

Are you sure the new batteries are fully charged?  Most batteries are not fully charged when purchased. Many appliances will work on less than 12.5 V. and the jack motor may not. With a multi meter, check the available voltage at the hot side ( B+) of the switch. See if you have 12.5 V. Then while engaging the switch, check the switch's output terminal for the same voltage. Any drop in voltage or no voltage will indicate a poor connection or bad switch. Follow the wiring to the jack, and again with the switch engaged, check the available voltage at the jack. If you have power to the jack, then it will be an internal problem with a connector or motor problem.

Were the battery wiring terminals cleaned before the new batteries were installed? If not, I would remove and clean them and then reinstall them with a coating of dielectric grease.

BOL  Gard

Edited by gard 2009-12-27 10:08 PM
MsSilver
Reg. Dec 2009
Posted 2009-12-28 6:42 PM (#114605 - in reply to #114592)
Subject: RE: Equalizer Electric Jack - Now Works-What I Learned

The electric jack is now working, I want to thank you all for your advice, I followed what you posted.  The new batteries were fully charged when purchased 2 wks ago, I had them tested prior to purchasing, but I did go buy a good digital multimeter to double ck, showed full charge today, even though battery terminals and cable terminals did not look corroded, I clean all terminals today, attached cables back property and electric jack works fine. So, there must have been corrosion, lesson learned always clean all terminals when installing new batteries. Thanks again, great forum.  MsSilver
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2009-12-28 9:05 PM (#114612 - in reply to #114592)

Expert

New batteries have a "patina" on their posts/connections that should be cleaned/removed before the cables/wires are connected. The older the battery, the thicker the patina. Most of the time a stiff steel wire brush will clean the new terminals so a good connection can be made..... Add a little Vaseline when you're finished.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)