'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Winterizing a trailer??????

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-10-29 10:20 AM
5 replies, 3573 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Turnnburn64
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2008-10-28 7:46 PM (#93832)
Subject: Winterizing a trailer??????

This is  my first winter having a LQ...I live in south MS...when should I drain my freash water tank and should I put anything in the tanks(grey/black)...I empty grey and black tanks after every use..I haul alot during the winter months so the trailer will be used....I cannot plug it in where I have it stored at the barn...

When I got the trailer last year from TX...it got delivered one week after they had a hard freeze and it cracked my fresh water tank and pump cause they were full..dont want that headache again......

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-10-28 8:19 PM (#93835 - in reply to #93832)
Subject: RE: Winterizing a trailer??????

Expert

Your water tanks and heater have to be dumped before the freezing temps arrive. The water lines have to be purged at the same time, and anti freeze should be added to any water traps. Otherwise you will have a repeat of your previous problems.

Once your waste tanks are dumped there is nothing further to do. We don't use our trailers during the winter except for emergencies. During that time we leave the caps off of the dump valves, and leave the valves open. This would not work with your frequent usage.

If you constantly use the trailer for camping during the winter and need the water, you might want to buy adapters for purging your water system with an air compressor. The cost of constantly replenishing the anti freeze adds up.

Gard

IcePonyGoddess
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2008-10-28 8:52 PM (#93838 - in reply to #93835)

Elite Veteran

Originally written by gard on 2008-10-28 8:19 PM

Your water tanks and heater have to be dumped before the freezing temps arrive. The water lines have to be purged at the same time, and anti freeze should be added to any water traps

ONLY USE RV ANTIFREEZE !!!! THE PINK STUFF!!!!!!!!!!These links show how to winterize an RV...but it's the same for a LQ trailer.http://www.rvsecrets.com/winterize.htmhttp://www.thecampingsource.com/item/RV__Winterizing_a_RV/id/561/category.aspxhttp://www.2rvguys.com/winterize.htmlhttp://www.newrver.com/winterize.html
hogtownboss
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2008-10-28 9:27 PM (#93839 - in reply to #93832)

Expert

We live in North Texas, so we do not see a ton of really cold weather, but we do use our trailer a few times a month and we drain all the water and waste tanks and water heater after every time we use it just to keep junk from building up in the tanks and leave the fausets open. And so far after 3 trailers we have not had any trouble and have never used the antifreeze stuff. Since we hual so much, it is just too much trouble and too much money to completely flush the system.
Best way is to park so you can plug it in and buy a 20. ceramic heater from Wal-Mart and leave all of the access doors on the interior open.
Turnnburn64
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2008-10-28 10:01 PM (#93841 - in reply to #93832)

Thanks for the replies....i haul almost every weekend but may not use the LQ...We very rarely get freezing temps that remain longer than 3 hrs...i am going to empty my fresh tank and pump...I always make sure hot water and all water lines are empty after each use anyway....

I Guess if it looks like freezing temps will be longer than i will ahul trailer home and plug in a small heater overnight in it......

Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2008-10-29 10:20 AM (#93863 - in reply to #93832)

Expert

We get some serious cold here in Northern Utah. Usually 1 week in January of below zero daytime temps. I usually winterize my LQ about the 1st of November. Or when ever the nighttime low temps start staying 28* or lower. My trailer just doesn't seem to freeze up when the outside temps are 30*-32*  I guess there is enough residual heat in the trailer to keep it above freezing.

I use my trailer several time a week, But during the winter, we just don't use the water system. But then I usually don't camp during Dec-February. it's just day use only to haul horses to fairground indoor arenas or local trails.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)