'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Horse camping areas

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-10-28 7:35 AM
5 replies, 4426 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Horsemen
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2008-10-25 7:25 AM (#93598)
Subject: Horse camping areas

Veteran

Yes we are in Okeechobee Florida and looking for some nice horse camps, possibly ones with electric, and lots of nice trails all info appreciated.

Thank you Jim

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
randemtam
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2008-10-25 10:29 AM (#93609 - in reply to #93598)
Subject: RE: Horse camping areas

Extreme Veteran

Hi Jim,

Are you looking specifically for trails in South Fl or anywhere in Florida. I live just North of Tampa and could help you with some of the places near here.

Horsemen
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2008-10-26 8:17 AM (#93648 - in reply to #93598)

Veteran

Thank you anything you have would be great we are more central Florida, but plan on venturing out.  Would love to meet people that love to horse camp, and ride.

Jim & Lisa

tom-tom
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-10-27 9:00 AM (#93702 - in reply to #93598)

Extreme Veteran

Have you tried www.horsetraildirectory.com yet?  You can choose the state you wish to ride in and read reviews from other riders who have also stayed at the camps.  They do not list all facilities, but are a good resource to research new places to ride.
randemtam
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2008-10-27 6:27 PM (#93743 - in reply to #93648)

Extreme Veteran

The horse trails guide that Tom-Tom recommended is a great resource. Also www.horseandmuletrails.com is good. We enjoy many of the Water Management District lands. Specifically Southwest Fl Water Management District. Also, check out the State Forest listings as many have nice camping areas. One that comes to mind specifically is Tillis Hill Recreation area. This is located North of Brooksville in the Citrus Tract of the Withlacoochee. They have 2 barns and many campsites which are paved with water and electric. The trails are great and actually do roll rather than being flat. You can ride for hours there.

If you don't mind no electric, Green Swamp West is a great place to camp. There is water and a covered picnic table at each site but no electric. The campsites sit under a stand of huge oaks and it is a very nice setting.

Closer to Lakeland is a Fl State Park called Colt Creek State Park that has plans for an equestrian camp. Check their website for updates. Alafia River State Park has horse camping with water and electric and many nice trails. It is in Riverview.

Goethe State Forest has primitive camping available at the trail heads (water is available) but there are several private farms that offer water and electric. I can't remember the names right at the moment....CRS, you know.

McCulley Farm in Jasper puts on 2 organized rides each year and also allows for camping anytime. They have water and electric but that can be tricky to get during an organized ride. Also in North Florida is the Spirit of the Suwannee Music Park. They have stalls, water and electric. The trails are reasonable there. Blackwater is located in N. Fl. as well and is a favorite place of many and they have water and electric, stalls and covered paddocks. I haven't been able to go there yet....one of these days.

I camped at a place North of Orlando that had water, a barn and nice bath house but I can't remember the name of it. All that I can remember is Boggy Creek which is next to it where the have a Competative Trail Ride.

There are sooo many places to camp and ride in Florida....I have yet to try a great majority of them. I hope you can enjoy some of the places I mentioned here.

Dunoir
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2008-10-28 7:35 AM (#93771 - in reply to #93598)

Elite Veteran

Fla is chock full of places to ride & camp, but electric sites are harder to come by.  Besides the info already provided here are a few more:

Withlacoochie Forest Citrus Section - has Tillis Hills 35 electric/water campsites, restrooms, showers, stalls, turn out pasture (shared), very nice pretty well marked trails.

Also in the same forest is AOK Ranch privately owned 2 bed 2 bath mobile trailer, full furnished/equipped, paddocks for horses, also electric for additional trailers - ride out directly into the forest.  Renab Ranch also in the Citrus forest has electric/water sites, stalls, grassy pastures, etc

Alafia River State park east of tampa - 30+ electric/water sites, restrooms, showers, tie-outs for horses or bring electric paddocks, pavilion, lovely well marked trails

Other state parks: Kissimmee Prairie, Lake Louisa, Jonathan Dickinson, Highland Hammock, O'Leno, Rock Springs Run, Lower Weikiva, Sebastian Buffer

Forests - Goethe (Tidewater trailhead), Picayunne, Doe Lake in Ocala National Forest

Fla Greenways - we just camped at the Fla Horse park

7 Bar L Ranch - private farm in Live Oak - we just camped there and loved it.  electric/water/sewer sites, restrooms, showers, stalls and turnout pastures for horses, rode in the same water management areas as Spirit of the Suwannee Music Park

Water Management areas: Hickory Hammock (near you), Potts Preserve, Lake Panasofkee, Flying Eagle, Tosahatchee, Dupuis, Corbett,

Cecil Webb (only groups can camp here)  

I also suggest joining a trail club as we have options to camp at private farms (members places), get the permits, etc we have several members from the Okeechobee area and much further north that join us on camping trips.  www.flahorse.com go to the club page and click on south fla trailriders of Broward.  There's also a Dade Cty club and I'm a member of both.  Check out the various clubs and see which one appeals to you most.

We have camping trips scheduled from Oct - April all over the state, though many are very close to your area due to fuel prices this year. Clubs are a great way to find out about other places to camp.  There's also the Fla Sport Horse club out of central Fla. 

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)