'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Are the bees gone from Shawnee yet?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-10-20 3:59 PM
5 replies, 3683 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

FarmGirl
Reg. Oct 2007
Posted 2008-10-08 9:01 PM (#92795)
Subject: Are the bees gone from Shawnee yet?

I've heard the bees are bad this year and I ride with someone who is allergic. We've been waiting for the bees to clear from the Shawnee and were hoping to ride this weekend (at Giant City). Has anyone been down there in the last week or so (to Giant City or any other campground in the Shawnee)? If so, are the bees still bad?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gaytor1331
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2008-10-09 8:48 AM (#92824 - in reply to #92795)
Subject: RE: Are the bees gone from Shawnee yet?

We rode to Peter's Cave a couple of weeks ago and only ran into bees once.  We were told that they were out "bombing" that nest and others that were found.  We are going again this weekend.  We ride out of Hays Canyon campground.  Hopefully with the cool nights and the bombings the bees are under control.

I always carry Yard Guard or Cutters with me.  If we run into bees, if I am able, I spray the bees.  That really seems to knock them down fast!  Of course if my horse is getting stung, then I just get the heck out of there.

I also found that spraying yourself and your horse with Cutters or Off seems to help also.  I do recommend that you try a small area on your horse first to see if they are ok with the Cutters or Off.

gaytor1331
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2008-10-14 11:32 AM (#93033 - in reply to #92795)

We rode in Shawnee this past weekend.  The bees are not all gone but not nearly as many as a few weeks ago when we rode. I think they need a hard frost before they are all gone. 

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Kate
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2008-10-14 12:10 PM (#93037 - in reply to #92795)

New User

they're still out there.   If there is just a couple of you riding together your chances of stirring them up are much less likely.   I agree, a hard frost is going to be in order to slow them down.

FarmGirl
Reg. Oct 2007
Posted 2008-10-14 9:33 PM (#93063 - in reply to #92795)

Just returned from a long weekend camping trip at Giant City State Park and I just LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the trails there.. They are just challenging enough and they are very scenic. The leaves are changing colors and we even rode through a leaf storm once, all different colors swirling around - - it was very cool.. Hope I can get back down there before they close on the 31st!
j&j
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2008-10-20 3:59 PM (#93293 - in reply to #92795)

Veteran

We just spent a week at Hayes Canyon and ran into a few spotty bees, nothing much. We mostly rode with a large group, so if you are just a couple of riders you should do ok. And yes, it takes a hard frost to get rid of them.
The trees and weather were glorious and so were the trails!

j&j
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)