'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Treating Thrush and Apple Cider Vinegar

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-08-22 10:28 PM
5 replies, 190934 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

lindszo
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-08-21 9:40 PM (#90152)
Subject: Treating Thrush and Apple Cider Vinegar

Veteran

Has anyone used unfiltered apple cider vinegar to treat Thrush?  I was going to use the bleach and water that the farrier suggested but this seems very caustic to me.  Have read where 1/4 cup vinegar to 1 gallon of water and soak for 15-20 minutes for 5 days works well and does not damage the frog.  It must be unfiltered and unpasturized vinegar.  Thoughts??????

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Tuffyspop
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2008-08-22 10:15 AM (#90186 - in reply to #90152)
Subject: RE: Treating Thrush and Apple Cider Vinegar

Regular

We use ACV (just off the shelf stuff) for a lot of uses...but never used for thrush.  The bleach-water works well, but if you want it gone in a hurry, use thrusbuster.

We got back from our last camping trip and my TWH was left at home this trip.  He seemed sored, so I brought him up...he had the initial stages of thrush on his fronts.  I cleaned him up good, then shot on Thrushbuster...knocks it out in one treatment.  We've used it quite a bit this year, as it's been so darn sloppy the whole spring and summer.

The ACV (with "mother"...i.e. natural) is touted for a number of uses.  Just never heard of it being a treatment for thrush.

Tuffyspop
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2008-08-22 10:17 AM (#90187 - in reply to #90152)

Regular

This is the stuff.  Not a bad price at this place....

http://www.smartpakequine.com/productclass.aspx?productclassid=210&cm_mmc=Google-_-Top%20Performers-_-First%20Aid-_-thrush%20busteriq_id=5692574

Rich M.
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2008-08-22 10:20 AM (#90188 - in reply to #90152)

Veteran

Depends on the level of infection. Vinegar, venice turpentine, pine tar, tea tree oil, etc. are all mild and are good for prevention or small occurences. Beyond that I have found White Lightning, available fron Grand Circuit and a few farm stores is the best solution. It is very mild and the gas produced when mixed correctly reaches areas liquids will not. A couple of soaks ( use old IV fluid bags and tape off at the fetlock, open soaking is not effective) and mastitis treatment for cows ( otc at TSC, Agway, etc.) shot in the central sulcus a couple of times for a few weeks seems to clear up any case. Copper sulfate based products are caustic and topical. They can burn the outer layer providing the perfect environment underneath for more growth. Steer clear of bleach as well.Rich
gabz
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2008-08-22 11:37 AM (#90195 - in reply to #90152)

Expert

I was a die-hard Thrush Buster user until I ran into a new situation.

I have found that washing the foot (feet) with soap and water and then using the paste for cow udders, when they are drying up, works wonderfully and is not caustic. There are 2 different cow udder treatments - the one to use is "Tomorrow"  or "All Dry".  (The other one is for treating the cow while still nursing/ milking)  12 tubes are about $15-$18. 

Another product - Copertox - which I have hated my entire equine adult life because it is SO messy - is actually a good treatment. After washing and rinsing, apply Copertox. It has a water repellency built into it. The copper-whatever in it, is the treatment.

I now use Thrush Buster only as a preventive and it is very good. Do NOT get THrush Bomb... it's leaky and messy. grrr.

lindszo
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2008-08-22 10:28 PM (#90223 - in reply to #90152)

Veteran

Thanks for all the info.  I ended up using the vinegar for 2 days but he is now sore, so think I need to go stronger.  Chiropractor reccomends the Kopertox.  So I will try that.  I have never had a problem before but the weather has been weird this year!!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)