'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Loading lights - suggestions?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2008-01-14 11:23 AM
4 replies, 3535 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Towfoo
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2008-01-14 7:56 AM (#74363)
Subject: Loading lights - suggestions?

Veteran

What is a good, bright loading/utility light? The trailer I bought has a basic fixture with what looks like a standard 1157 auto bulb in it. I was thinking of replacing it with a halogen flood or driving light. I've also seen the "tractor" lights at walmart but not sure how bright they are (no specs on the package). Any suggestions?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Broken Bit
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2008-01-14 8:32 AM (#74365 - in reply to #74363)
Subject: RE: Loading lights - suggestions?

Veteran

Depending on what "tractor" ligts you're looking at, they're ussually a good choice.  If they're a good quality, halogen light they will work fine.  Pay attention to what lense they have in them. there is 3 or 4 differant styles of lense you can get depending on what you're wanting the light to do.  I prefere the "trapezoid" lense which is kinda in the middle of a "spot" and a "flood".  They are also nice because they are ussually mounted in rubber instead of plastic.  That helps absorb the shock and bouncing of the trailer in some of the "wonderfull" places we sometimes have to go with our wagons.  Good luck with your choice, and almost anything will be better than the ones you've got with the 1156 (if it's a single filament) bulbs in them.  When you upgrade to a bigger, brighter light, it may take more power to run than what you currently have, take a minute to check and see that the feed wire coming to the lamps is of sufficient guage (size) to handle the higher power demand.  Talk to y'all later...
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2008-01-14 9:44 AM (#74368 - in reply to #74363)

Expert

Tractor Supply Corp and Harbor Freight has some sealed beam "work" lights at nominal prices. I think that Northern Hydraulics also sells these units. Anything over 55 watts or adding additional lights might over load your wiring. But replacing them one for one shouldn't be a problem if you're just changing 2 or 3.

A driving light has the wrong lens for what you want. It has a pencil type of tight beam that is made for long distance illumination. You want a flood light that has a short range and wide field of coverage. If you want to use an automotive light, you might consider a clear lens fog light.

BOL     Gard

retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2008-01-14 9:58 AM (#74370 - in reply to #74363)

Expert

Those tractor "rear work lights" work good as a load light. They flood the area with alot of light at a short distance, like lighting the work area just behind the tractor. They are sealed beam mounted in rubber with a single mounting stud. Don't know what kind of wattage they pull. My trailers have rectangular 55 watt halogen lights, they seem to be more of a spot light rather than a flood....The flood lights would work better, need to light the area around my trailer, not the area 25 yards away.
Towfoo
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2008-01-14 11:23 AM (#74379 - in reply to #74363)

Veteran

Yeah not sure if the existing lights are 1156 or 1157... somewhere around that range. LOL. I'll stop at Tractor Supply and see what they have. The "tractor" lights at Walmart don't say what they are so might as well not risk having to stand at the return counter. I'll be sure to check the wiring and make sure it's adequate for 55 watts. I'm probably going to put one in the rear and one on the side with the tack door.

Thanks everyone!

Edited by Towfoo 2008-01-14 11:24 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World