'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Metal Manger w/ Walk-Thru to Dressing, Safe?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-08-16 9:40 AM
4 replies, 3131 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

3Mares
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2007-08-15 12:19 PM (#65891)
Subject: Metal Manger w/ Walk-Thru to Dressing, Safe?

Hi, I am new to the forum but need help in deciding on a 2 horse straight load GN.  I have found one that I really like but I've never dealt with this type layout.  It's got metal mangers slightly to the side with a dressing room door walk thru between.  My big concern is that there are metal head guards that are off center that come out from the wall about 2 or 2 1/2 feet (just a little to the inside of where the horses head would be).  The area between the two metal mangers is open.  Does anyone have this type trailer layout?  Have your horses ever gotten hurt?  The dealer says the horses can drop their heads to the inside of the open area to clear their lungs.  Looks like the horses would hit the sides of their heads or necks on the guard every time they move their head?  The stall length is 7'7" and my mare only needs about 6'9" so she can back up about a foot from the breast pad area.  I also have a filly that I'll be hauling and sometimes a 15.3 mare too.  Does the general layout of this trailer sound safe?  I'm sure the manufacturers wouldn't make them if they didn't think they were, but I'd like some personal experience responses.  What about the mangers in general, safe?  I'm hoping to purchase a trailer either this week or next.  Thanks...

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Dmarr
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-08-15 8:23 PM (#65922 - in reply to #65891)
Subject: RE: Metal Manger w/ Walk-Thru to Dressing, Safe?

Veteran

This is the layout we currently use on our trailer and I love it. I have never had a problem with mangers as long as you are hauling horses that are calm and pretty seasoned. Years ago I was hauling a long yearling with limited trailering experience and he climbed up into the manger! Talk about scary!

Most horsepeople will tell you that the best way to haul a horse is without mangers so the horses can put their heads/necks down to clear their nostrils and throats (especially on long hauls). Horses are exposed to a lot of dust and irritants in the trailer and they need to get them out of their system.

That said, I had a limited budget and found the perfect trailer for me with the mangers. I don't do long hauls so I think my horses are fine not being able to put their heads down.

Good luck!

3Mares
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2007-08-15 9:16 PM (#65929 - in reply to #65891)

Thank you for your input.  I've heard good and bad about the mangers.  I think my girls would be okay with them even though 2 have never traveled and my big mare only twice in her life.  My major concern is the metal grill guard above the inside end of the mangers that comes out from the wall where the walk thru into the dressing room.  Does your trailer have this type head guard?  To explain more, there's the body divider then a open 2 foot or so area and then this head guard attached and coming out of the front wall.  So there's a opening at two different ends around the horses head and they don't quiet match up in alignment.  The head guard is closer to the outer wall.  Guess you have to have seen one before to know exactly what I'm talking about.  I'll mostly be traveling 2 1/2 hr or less to local shows, with maybe a 4 1/2 hour trip once a year starting next year.
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2007-08-16 9:17 AM (#65943 - in reply to #65929)

Expert

Would you be able to post pictures so we can see what you are talking about?
3Mares
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2007-08-16 9:40 AM (#65948 - in reply to #65891)

If you look at this particular trailer ad, http://www.horsetrailerworld.com/home/trailerdetail.asp?ID=121948&n... it'll give you a good idea.  This is not the exact trailer I'm looking at.  The only difference in the manger area is that the metal head guard bars don't come out to the end of the manger.  They only come out about 2/3 the way... hope that helps.  I don't have permission from the Bison dealer to post his photos.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)