'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Palo Duro Canyon/Caprock, Tx Horsecamps

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-08-22 8:55 AM
4 replies, 3621 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

okiedar
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2006-08-20 11:29 AM (#46977)
Subject: Palo Duro Canyon/Caprock, Tx Horsecamps

Hello. I am planning a trip to these two horsecamps in November. I had heard one has a steep decline. I am looking for information on whether to take a 33" MH with the horse trailer or just pull the BP with the truck and primitve camp. I also don't know the size and levelness of the camp sites. Any info on these two campgrounds will be appreciated. Has anyone rode there? Pretty? Thanks.....dar
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
pooperscooper
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2006-08-21 7:20 AM (#47032 - in reply to #46977)
Subject: RE: Palo Duro Canyon/Caprock, Tx Horsecamps

Veteran

Those are 2 places I would love to ride someday. Just saw them a while back on Best of AMerica by horseback and the ridiing looked like it would be awesome. Maybe you could call the parks and find out more information on roads and campsites. Give us a  trip report when you get back and take lots of pictures.
SLICKRNSNOT
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-08-21 10:31 AM (#47054 - in reply to #46977)

Elite Veteran

yes pictures are always good !!
Longrider
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2006-08-21 9:12 PM (#47101 - in reply to #46977)

Extreme Veteran

Try- http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/parks/caprock_canyons  It's worth a trip although we haven't been in almost ten years.  Primitive horse camping but the security was the best I can remember anywhere. Lots of beautiful trails and scenery. We rode the rails to trails from South Plains to Quitaque (natives pronounce it Kitty-kway) through the old train tunnel complete with bats and Boy Scouts with flashlights approaching from other end.  Even had a thunderstorm with high wind and hailstones. Wow, what a ride! Then rode in the park the next day. Local guy drove our rig with us to South Plains to drive back and park at lot in Quitaque. He kept trying to get us to start at the halfway point saying we didn't really realize how far it was between the 2 towns. We told him we were starting at S. Plains bar none and would be back in no more than 4 hours. He thought we were crazy. (we made it back in 2-1/2) Definitely worth the trip.

okiedar
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2006-08-22 8:55 AM (#47113 - in reply to #46977)

Thanks for the answers. I am really looking forward to the trip. Several of us going. I still don't have any idea how I'm camping. The people I went thru to make the reservation weren't at the parks and never had been. I would love to take the MH but we will see.

I am looking for a two horse gooseneck that I can stay in. Just haven't found the right one yet.

I will take lots of pics but I'm not good at putting them on the computer to share. I've got to work on that. Thanks again.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)