'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Exiss door corrosion

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-07-25 12:25 PM
4 replies, 3594 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Tug Fork Bob
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2006-07-24 5:20 PM (#45337)
Subject: Exiss door corrosion

I bought a "supposedly all-aluminum" Exiss 3-horse GN in 1999.  Lately I have noticed that a roof leak has developed and the dressing room door and drop-down feed doors are developing "corrosion blisters" under the paint.  I contacted Exiss and their response was to advise me of the sealant they used to seal roof joints.  I find through this forum that re-caulking is not unusual, so I have purchased some and will attempt to fix that problem.

However their response to my questions on the door corrosion was basically as follows:

Yes they are aware of the problem--Exiss trailers manufactured at that time used doors supplied by a company that used an "acid-based" adhesive in manufacture of the doors and they have since changed suppliers.  Their suggested solution is to contact the door manufacturer!  In other words-"Buyer Beware--not our fault".

Typical Exiss Service?

Bob

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
RoperChick
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-07-24 5:56 PM (#45338 - in reply to #45337)
Subject: RE: Exiss door corrosion

Veteran

You might try contacting Dixie Horse & Mule Co, I think they recently helped someone else with the same problem. 

Reg. Dec 1899
Posted 2006-07-24 6:05 PM (#45340 - in reply to #45337)

Bob, I'm sorry this problem was not adequately explained to you.  These windows and doors were made by Hehr mfg co, and put on many brands of trailers, not just Exiss, from around 1999 thru about 2002.  A few of them developed the problem you described.  Hehr, thru all manufacturers involved, had a recall that lasted 3 years.  It ended about 2003 I think.  During that time we replaced several at no charge to the owner at all.  When the problem was discovered, Exiss, and I suspect several other manufacturers too, changed to another brand of door and window.  Since the recall ended, and Exiss changed suppliers, we can no longer get the windows from Hehr.  That does mean the trailer owner would have to contact them direct.  They might replace them, but I doubt it, in that the original warranty has long since been out, and the recall has long since ended.  There may be some help available to you thru your dealer.  A few questions and maybe I can help.  Did you buy it new?  What dealership did you buy it from?  Have you contacted them?  Thanks,  DON SMITH, OWNER, DIXIE HORSE & MULE CO, AN EXISS DEALER  
Tug Fork Bob
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2006-07-25 11:17 AM (#45377 - in reply to #45337)

Don, thanks for your reply. To answer to your questions,

Yes, we purchased the trailer new from B&B Livestock supply in Camp Point, Illinois.  I have not contacted them as the problem has just started to appear this spring.  We have never rec'd any recall notification from either Exiss or B&B.

I don't really expect any help from Exiss or B&B at this point--I just had to vent a little at the perceived "passing the buck" I got from Exiss.

Bob

Bob

Reg. Dec 1899
Posted 2006-07-25 12:25 PM (#45380 - in reply to #45377)

Bob, thanks for your reply.  I understand.  It should not have been passed.  I used the incorrect term, as there was no offical recall, just a dealer notice to replace all that needed to be replaced.  It is very unusual for the damage to have taken this long to appear.  Almost all the ones we replaced were within a year or so of being built.  I know the folks up at B&B to be good, honest, dealers, and I expect they will help in some way.  I'm also copying Rodney Norvell, Exiss warranty manager, on this, for his review.  There might be some help, in the form of replacements, of another brand, at a lower cost than normal.  I suggest you make the B&B folks aware of it & see what happens.  If you get no satisfaction, let me know & I'll help in any way possible.  I do appreciate you saying you were not expecting free replacements.  That surely says a lot of good about you.  Thanks,  DON SMITH, OWNER, DHMCO
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)