'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Spray-on ceiling insulation?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-06-29 4:43 PM
4 replies, 2603 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Gaelic
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2006-06-29 10:16 AM (#43781)
Subject: Spray-on ceiling insulation?

Regular

I am completing my homemade LQ in my "new" (to me!) trailer, and am confuddled about what to do about the ceiling! There is a really, really big curve to the roof on all three sides, and if I drop down the ceiling to accomodate this, we will lose a lot of height. I was thinking to use conventional insulation (foam boards) up to the point it curves, attach the panelling on to this using furring strips, and then from the curve upwards simply use some sort of "spray-on" foam insulation. The only downside to this, however, is that wiring will be exposed on top, and that if any repairs must be made to the steel of the trailer it will ruin the insulation....

Are there any other downsides to this idea? I did a search and came up with nothing, so not sure if my idea is stupid or not :)

Many thanks!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
bonniejf
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2006-06-29 10:52 AM (#43786 - in reply to #43781)
Subject: RE: Spray-on ceiling insulation?

Regular

I used the white foam board insulation and just scored it on the foil side so that it would bend.  I then taped it up to the ceiling with foil tape.  I later had to cover the foil tape with duct tape so that the bigger pieces would not sag.  I have pictures that I'll attach.

You can't really see the curves very well in the pictures.  I'm not sure how much your ceiling is curved, but this worked very well for me.

Edited by bonniejf 2006-06-29 10:58 AM
Gaelic
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2006-06-29 11:06 AM (#43788 - in reply to #43781)

Regular

Hey thanks for the quick reply!

But my ceiling is waaaaaaaay more curved than that - and it's flat on top, the curves I'm talking about are the the ones between the walls and the ceiling. It's easy a foot in length, curving up and over.

I've seen the pool noodle idea - they don't even put a dent in the curves I have :) I'm at a loss!

Pretty sure the foam board won't curve at that sort of angle - and if it did - what would I cover it with?

But thanks!
cowpony01
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-06-29 4:06 PM (#43806 - in reply to #43788)

Extreme Veteran

you can score the foam board to fit your curves. You can look at my album below my curve was pretty extreme, espcially in the nose area. It was tough but I got it myself.
bonniejf
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2006-06-29 4:43 PM (#43809 - in reply to #43781)

Regular

I haven't insulated the curve between the wall and ceiling yet - not sure if I will.  But I am pretty sure the foam board could be scored enough to work.  That stuff is pretty amazing.  You could even score it every 1" or so and it would be pretty flexible.  As far as what to cover the curve with - I'm still working that part out on mine.  What I'm thinking now is just leaving a small gap between the wall paneling and the ceiling paneling that could be covered with lightweight molding attached with velcro or something like that.  I've had numerous wiring issues with this trailer and the idea of sealing everything up where the wiring is inaccessible does not fly with me.  I want to be able to take the molding down where I can get to the wiring if needed.

Another thing that I've found is once you add stripping to the walls and ceiling, that takes about 2" out of your curve.  The celing is one inch closer to the side walls and the side walls meet the curved ceiling one inch further out.  This has simplified things for me as far as how the ceiling and wall meet.  Just something to think about.

Edited by bonniejf 2006-06-29 4:47 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)