'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
110plug vs 30amp

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-06-19 12:12 PM
4 replies, 2383 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Monsterhorse
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-06-18 9:53 AM (#43194)
Subject: 110plug vs 30amp

Veteran

Please excuse my ignorance first off, I will tell you up front I know nothing about electricity other than don't blow dry your hair in the bathtub (LOL) My question: I bought a used exiss trailer the living quarters are after market but professionally done. When my daughter and I went camping and riding last weekend I was surprized when I plugged in my trailer at the camp ground that although I had a 30amp cable it only had a 110 plug at the end. My husband (not a horse person nor an electrician) says I need to let him replace the plug with a 30 amp because the 110 plug will get over heated. I was careful not to run the hot water heater and the a/c at the same time and we didn't use the microwave because we cooked outside, everything went fine. as I walked around the campground I noticed a lot of trailers were plugged into the 110 outlets. What are the benefits of 30 amp plug? Does any one know? Your probably wondering why I didn't notice this before I bought the trailer , well it's because the dealer had the trailer plugged in and everything running so I could see that everything worked on it. Didn't pay attention to what type of plug at the time. and the fact I am Blonde probably doesn't help!!LOL16

Edited by Monsterhorse 2006-06-18 9:56 AM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Ardly
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2006-06-18 8:24 PM (#43211 - in reply to #43194)
Subject: RE: 110plug vs 30amp

Veteran

Monsterhorse,

Not sure why Your trailer has the smaller plug but likely it was replaced with that type plug to accomodate campgrounds that do not have 30 amp access.Both of which by the way are likely 110 volt with the difference being the"110" as You call it has the limit of carrying less amperage, generally 15 amps. If the campgrounds that you go to have accomodations for 30 amp RV service then that is the plug that You would be better off with or possibly would have to have according to the appliances that you will be running,besides,You can put the RV style plug on the cord and purchase an adapter at most any wal-mart to run it to 15 amp service if neccessary.

Your husband is correct,if you try to run to many appliances with the 110,15 amp service it will overheat and possibly burn out some of your appliances most especially your air conditioning unit.

Hope this helps,      Ardy

Monsterhorse
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-06-19 7:21 AM (#43230 - in reply to #43194)

Veteran

Ardly,
That makes a lot of sense. I will have him change the plug and get an adapter incase I ever stay at a campground that doesn't have a 30 amp outlet. Thanks for your reply.
Cloud9
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2006-06-19 9:30 AM (#43241 - in reply to #43194)

Extreme Veteran

Monsterhorse - Ardy is right. Get the RV plug put on and buy the adapter. We have been using this for years. Most campgrounds have both a 30 amp and a 15 0r 20 amp plug in the electric box. When we plug into the 20 amp plug and need the a/c, that's all we have on at one time. Turn the a/c off to run micro or water heater. lights won't make much difference. But be careful. You don't want to dmamge the a/c.
PaintPony
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2006-06-19 12:12 PM (#43256 - in reply to #43194)

Veteran

You may also want to check that you don't already have a adapter installed. Some of them fit so well you might not even realize it's an adapter instead of the "real" plug end. Just wiggle the end to see if it'll come off, especially since you say you have the 30Amp cable.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)