'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
neighing at horse shows advice

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-05-03 9:46 PM
4 replies, 3388 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Reg. Dec 1899
Posted 2006-05-03 4:02 AM (#41224)
Subject: neighing at horse shows advice

Anyone have suggestions for a 4 yr old gelding that will neigh at all horses at a show. He will not do this at home. I have thought of hormone pills and a collar. Any luck?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
terri s
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2006-05-03 9:11 AM (#41238 - in reply to #41224)
Subject: RE: neighing at horse shows advice

Elite Veteran

I'm sure there is better advice out there than mine, especially as I've never had the problem, but some lavendar oil (I've also heard Vicks Vaporub) in their nostrils will block the scent and perhaps take away much of the reason for the whinnying. Lavendar oil is also said to be calmative. I will be interested to hear what works for you.
MIfarmbabe
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-05-03 10:07 AM (#41239 - in reply to #41224)

Extreme Veteran

Time and experience and just getting over it. You can try to correct them by smacking them or yanking their lead rope or chain, but that really doesn't help or cure the problem. Best advice is to take your horse to as many new places and experiences as possible. Longe him, ride him and in time he'll just grow tired of neighing at all the horses and when they don't respond back he'll get the point. He's young yet, he'll grow out this behavior. Good luck!
kickshaw44
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-05-03 10:51 AM (#41242 - in reply to #41224)

Regular

I usually don't worry if they talk while they are in the stall, but I cannot stand it when the talk while being fooled with (riding, lunging, etc.) What I have found that works best is to just keep them busy thinking. If they are thinking, they don't have time to whinny. Of course, exposing them to new surroundings helps a lot. Good Luck!!
ISHOM
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2006-05-03 9:46 PM (#41280 - in reply to #41224)

Regular

Do you haul him by himself? Do you pature him by himself or next to the same horse all the time? Is he constantly near another horse? If you answered yes to any of these it is a security issue. He is afraid to be by himself and is looking for the other horse. Build his confidence to do things alone......time will help if he you help him build his confidence to be alone in strange places. You must break this dependence on other horses. As said earlier......a busy horse is a quieter horse...if he's a bit tired chances are he won't want to use the extra energy. Don't overdo it, but working him and making him pay attention only to you during workouts will keep him quieter....this may take a few weeks to break old habits but keep with it. keep him focused on you. Clinton Anderson does a good job showing how to keep the inattentive horse focused and if they aren't paying attention to him.....they go back to work. They rest when they are doing what he wants..... Just some ideas.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)