'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Older Hawk trailer

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-04-30 2:36 PM
4 replies, 2528 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Morgan
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2006-04-29 3:59 PM (#41066)
Subject: Older Hawk trailer

New here-Hello all! Great site and lurked for a long time. Now I need help.

Looking at a 97 Hawk gooseneck, has everything I want. (2h straight load w/ramp, ect..)

questions -are the older Hawk trailers as good as the newer, any problems I need to look at? Also this trailer has been 'lifted' for a bigger truck, what exactly does that mean? And will it effect anything with my 'regular' truck, which is a 3/4ton Chevy 4x4? Do I need to worry about anything in the longterm of things having this already done, will it effect how it pulls? This will be my first gn. Any comments would be welcome and greatly appreciated.

Thanks, J.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2006-04-29 4:40 PM (#41068 - in reply to #41066)
Subject: RE: Older Hawk trailer

Expert

I cannot speak as to the quality of Hawk trailers. But since I have purchased used trailers I can tell you what I have experienced. Used trailers can be a bargain- yes they have wear and tear ( anything used does) but overall unless its been beat to death or wreaked, there isn't a whole lot to go wrong ( compaired to a truck or car) I'd check it over, lift the mats,turn on anything that turns on to make sure it works. If I am correct, the lifting is an adjustment at the hitch to make it a bit higher in front, this can be re-adjusted. If you can hook it up to your truck, haul it around,flip on the lights, check the brakes etc.If you cannot, then at least have the seller hook it up and allow you to pull it around a bit. Sounds to me your truck would work just fine.

Now I didn't do any of this since the dealer delivered it to me. Since they were able to haul it three states, I was pretty sure it would be in ok shape and it was, even better than that. I am very pleased buying used.

Morgan
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2006-04-30 9:53 AM (#41090 - in reply to #41066)

Farmbabe, thank you for you reply. I agree with you in purchasing a 'used' anything has disadvantages vs advantages. I try to do my homework when buying used so I know where possible problems could lurk to avoid huge unexpected expenses in the future.

But I don't know alot about gn's in general, always had bp's, and this one has been 'lifted' by placing 'blocks on top of the axels'? Just wondering if this is ok and what potenial problems to look for, and how do I know it has been done right?  Would this not raise your center of gravity? Did a search on here but cannot find alot of info.

Thanks, J.

farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2006-04-30 2:04 PM (#41099 - in reply to #41066)

Expert

I don't know nuthin' bout that. Ca you remove the blocks?
Jbsny
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2006-04-30 2:36 PM (#41103 - in reply to #41066)

Extreme Veteran

from what I understand, the new high trucks is what determines if the trailer is blocked or not.  If you have a high truck, then you might want to leave the blocks there.  Otherwise to keep the trailer level, the trailer could be lower than the sides of the pickup. 

Or worse, the trailer would be high in the front and lower in the back.

So, maybe just take the trailer to a good dealer to check out the blocking and make sure your trailer is level.

I think some people also block the trailer if they drive on very uneven ground to campsites and trailer parking.

Jbsny

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)