'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Taking hay into SD

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-06-16 6:50 PM
4 replies, 3765 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

dawnb
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-06-16 10:22 AM (#121203)
Subject: Taking hay into SD

Veteran

Can you take non-certified hay with you into SD if you are going to a private campground?

Edited by dawnb 2010-06-16 10:24 AM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2010-06-16 11:15 AM (#121209 - in reply to #121203)
Subject: RE: Taking hay into SD

We did not run that risk.  We used alfalfa cubes and complete feeds.  And then paid $$$ for some certified hay there to give the horses something to munch on.

Suggest you ask the campground what the current regs are.  When we went, they could seize your whole rig over the hay (as I remember). 

Issie, have you all been back out there?

dawnb
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-06-16 12:05 PM (#121212 - in reply to #121203)

Veteran

Thanks for mentioning to check with the campground. It was on their website that we can bring in our own hay. I knew that they had hay for sale there but it nice to be able to bring some hay with to save some money.
gliderider
Reg. Nov 2009
Posted 2010-06-16 4:39 PM (#121230 - in reply to #121203)

Veteran

I like the idea behind certified weed free hay for horses going "into" national parks.  I question this... people are allowed to camp outside the park and haul the horse into the park for the day and ride, the horse leaves poo in the park and the weeds get in anyway...  also a million things like wind, birds can haul weeds in.  Last summer we got certified hay in SD and it was beautiful mixed grass with a little alfalfa big bales for $5.00 a bale, then in WY we got some more for $6.50 a small bale and it was like straw, not dusty or moldy but my horse wouldn't eat it, I ended up using it for bedding in the trailer...
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2010-06-16 6:50 PM (#121238 - in reply to #121203)

Expert

The Forest Service and BLM require that you feed the certified hay for 3 days prior to riding on public lands. But it is pretty hard to test for that. I've heard of one occassion where they took manure samples and tested to see if the owners had been feeding certified for 3 day prior. But I just don't know how they would prove or disprove that. They have done some studies and found that seeds in manure are not a big deal.  The seeds that do survive the pass through the gut, don't grow well, because they typically land on the compacted earth of the trail. Not a great place for a new seedling.

If you are camping on private land. It's really the land owners call if they will allow non-certified hay.  And maybe thats why certified hay isn't a big deal in the eastern part of the country since most camp grounds there are private. But here in the west, where public lands are the dominate recreation areas. It is a big deal.  Yellowstone park doesn't even allow any hay ( certified or not ) into the park.  You have to have your trailer swept clean. The ranger comes and looks in the trailer at the park entrance. Their concern is not just about weeds, but rather ANY non-native plant. (  Alfalfa or Timothy are both non-native to the park and would  pass as weed free hay but are not allowed in)

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)