'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
road to Troutdale, VA (Mt. Rogers) from Marion, VA, Hwy 16 south

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-06-10 1:57 PM
4 replies, 4411 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

leapfarm
Reg. Aug 2009
Posted 2010-06-05 3:01 PM (#120923)
Subject: road to Troutdale, VA (Mt. Rogers) from Marion, VA, Hwy 16 south

Has anyone hauled horses into the Troutdale, Virginia area from Marion, Virginia using Highway#16 south? I am going with a group to the Old Virginia Group Horse Camp in July and that looks like a twisty turny road with a pretty good drop in elevation. Just wondering what the condition of the road is and what type of haul to expect. Thanks for any info.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
brushycreekranch
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2010-06-05 4:55 PM (#120927 - in reply to #120923)
Subject: RE: road to Troutdale, VA (Mt. Rogers) from Marion, VA, Hwy 16 south

That is not a bad road at all.  Well maintained with a decent shoulder. I use to haul a 32' (box)LQ trailer in there several times a year. But, I hated the curvy tight turns up to Grayson Highlands. So, I would stop at the local store there at the crossroads and pay someone $10 to run interference for me up to the park. Coming down wasn't as bad since the dump and log trucks go up really slow on their way up.
ghbb41
Reg. Jul 2007
Posted 2010-06-07 10:50 AM (#120950 - in reply to #120923)

Veteran

coming in from Marion to Old Va Horse camp, you will not be going up the road to the state park. You will turn right at the store in Troutdale. The horse camp is 3 miles from there. We are going in June. You will love it!
twowatersfarm
Reg. Jun 2010
Posted 2010-06-09 1:09 PM (#121017 - in reply to #120923)

New User

We own a vacation horse at Mt Rogers NRA. Hwy 16 is one of the main roads in that area and is not a problem. From Exit 45 of I-81 in Marion it is 16 miles to Troutdale. Better to buy fuel at the Exxon in Marion when you start on Hwy 16. You will turn right at Jerry's Store (used to be the Troutdale Trading Post) on Route 603. There are signs for the the Old VA Horse Camp. It is about 3 miles from Jerry's. It's on the right, as soon as you cross a bridge over a creek. Mt Rogers trails tend to be rocky, muddy and steep in places. Good shoes are necessary.
whh
Reg. Jan 2010
Posted 2010-06-10 1:57 PM (#121034 - in reply to #120923)

And it is always a good idea to tie your rain duster and a long sleeve shirt to your saddle.The weather up there can change in a hurry. But man what a beautiful place to ride. It is one of our favorite spots.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)