'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
how to find horsetrailer friendly gas stations

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-04-03 10:06 AM
4 replies, 5087 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

rednapla
Reg. Feb 2010
Posted 2010-04-02 12:45 PM (#118378)
Subject: how to find horsetrailer friendly gas stations

New User

Hi.  I just bought a new horse trailer, and I will be hauling three horses from S.C. to Boston.  I may stop overnight in Maryland at a friend's farm.  My concern is that my truck is a huge gas hog, and I'll need to stop frequently for gas.   Is there some kind of guide or map or trucker's manual that will let you know where there are good gas stations that can accomodate a horse trailer?   I would like to have a plan of where my next stop will be before I leave so I won't be running out of gas and trying to pull into a station where my truck will get stuck!    Also, how do you know which ones are open all night, and which one's may not be safe.  thank you
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
randemtam
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2010-04-02 12:51 PM (#118379 - in reply to #118378)
Subject: RE: how to find horsetrailer friendly gas stations

Extreme Veteran

Try www.truckstops.com or www.findfuel.com  I have used both of these to map out stops along the way. Have a safe trip.
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2010-04-02 2:28 PM (#118381 - in reply to #118378)

Expert

I usually stop at the Flying J, Pilot, Truckstops of America, Loves, etc. Most of them have room to get a big GAS powered vehicle in and out. I drive a GAS HOG, pull a 6 horse head to head and never had any problems getting in and out of a truck stop. Just be sure to stop before you get too low.... I usually prepare to stop when I get down to 1/4 tank. (that's good for about 50 miles). You'll have a easy trip from S.C. until just north of Fredricksburg, Va. After that it all gets a little crazy.

http://www.flyingj.com/flyingjPortalWebProject/flyingjPortal.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=flyingjPortal_portal_page_98

http://www.pilotcorp.com/Locations/

http://www.tatravelcenters.com/our-locations

http://www.loves.com/Default.aspx?tabid=60

Edited by retento 2010-04-02 2:31 PM
Jeepplr
Reg. Oct 2007
Posted 2010-04-02 10:10 PM (#118391 - in reply to #118378)

Veteran

I have a question about the truck stops. I did not know that most had gasoline on the big truck side. I have a 4 horse with a 10’ SW, so I take up a fair amount of space. My truck is supercharged so I MUST have 91+ octane. Is there super gasoline on the big truck side of most truck stops? In the past I have always gone to the gas side, I thought they only had diesel on the big truck side.
randemtam
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2010-04-03 10:06 AM (#118407 - in reply to #118391)

Extreme Veteran

They do only have diesel on the truck side but the gas side will tend to have more room for gas trucks pulling campers. The Flying J at the exit by my house added gas to the diesel islands on the gas side which is really nice. We used to only have a gas truck but they d/c'ed our gas engine so we went with the diesel on our current truck. Now we can just go to the truck side.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)