'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Boot Box Dimensions?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-05-11 8:38 PM
4 replies, 6644 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

RafterH
Reg. Feb 2009
Posted 2009-04-23 8:39 AM (#103801)
Subject: Boot Box Dimensions?

Seeking ideas and advice on building a boot box - because I am vertically challenged and need a leg up to get into bed. :)

I have an aluminum slant load trailer 7' wide with a carpeted dressing room (the indoor/outdoor standard carpet), unfinished, with a 4-foot shortwall, and the dressing room door is on the shortwall/driver's side. I would like to build a boot box or any kind of storage that can double for storage and a step for getting up into the bed area. I'm thinking about making it out of wood and dimensions of 18" x 4 1/2 feet long x about 22" high? I'd love to hear input from the group, any ideas that you have or something you did and really enjoyed that you'd like to share. Thanks!

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-04-23 9:36 AM (#103805 - in reply to #103801)
Subject: RE: Boot Box Dimensions?

Expert

In our weekender LQ, the boot box is used for seating, water storage and for locating a water pump. It is 18" high which is comfortable for seating, but too short for the final step into the goose area. Instead of using a second step, we use the corner of the counter.

Without any cabinetry to depend on, most people design a two step entry into the goose area. Our more equipped LQ has this feature built in. If you divide your vertical height into thirds, and install a step at the 1/3 and 2/3 heights, you will have a comfortable step system. The areas you enclose can be accessed with doors or lift off panels for additional storage.

gard

RafterH
Reg. Feb 2009
Posted 2009-04-25 6:12 PM (#103942 - in reply to #103805)

Thank you for the pointers Gard. I'll have to go measure the height of my wall this weekend. Dividing into thirds sounds like a good idea to me.

I'm thinking about piano hinges or a lift-off lid, and would like to make the top into a softer seat with padding and fabric. But now I'm wondering if there wouldn't be enough room for the hinged lid to stay "up" and not hit me in the head while I'm rummaging for stuff inside the box. hmmm.... Maybe a front opening would be better.

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-04-25 7:43 PM (#103946 - in reply to #103801)

Expert

Our top is a lift off. If you have multiple steps, this and hinges become difficult to fabricate and use. A two height structure would be better fixed and used as a combined step/storage unit. You can use an end for the steps, and the center for a bench with a padded seat.
RafterH
Reg. Feb 2009
Posted 2009-05-11 8:38 PM (#104766 - in reply to #103801)

Excellent advice Gard! That is what we're aiming for. I got to see the first half in action today! The seating bench and first tall cabinet are complete. Just one more tall cabinet to go, and I have to find cabinet doors to cover the openings. I'm sooo excted!!!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)