'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Black tank sanitizer dissolves pipes

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-01-14 9:48 AM
4 replies, 4131 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

CML
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-01-14 1:42 AM (#97464)
Subject: Black tank sanitizer dissolves pipes

Has anyone heard of the small packets from Walmart melting the plastic drain pipes?  I have a PVC-like drain pipe from the curbside (under toilet black tank) to the driver side drain valve.  Each trip I treat the system with an orange packet and add about a gallon of water.  The tank gets emptied every 3rd trip or so.  It looks like the 4" pipe has melted in one 1"X3" area.  My cooking isn't that bad, so I suspect the orange pack did not dissolve, got stuck in the pipe and erroded it.  I'd like to make this a one-time event-does my theory sound right?  
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
deranger
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2009-01-14 4:58 AM (#97465 - in reply to #97464)
Subject: RE: Black tank sanitizer dissolves pipes

Elite Veteran

I believe your theory sounds right and I have a few questions. 

Did you drop the packet in the black tank through the toilet and directly into the black tank?

Was there water in the black tank or was it empty?

Is the damaged area on the bottom of the pipe?

Is there a chance it was just a bad spot in the pipe that missed quality control before it left the factory?

Anyone been working on the trailer lately and hung a work light near the pipe while they were working?

PVC pipe is historically pretty tuff stuff.  It takes a lot to damage it and will take a lot of abuse.  I've seen evidence of really nasty stuff going through PVC pipe in waste water treatment plants and was amazed at how durable PVC is in caustic environments.  I'm not discounting the fact that the orange packet didn't damage your pipe, just wondering what the conditions were and if there are any other possibilities?

deranger

Edited by deranger 2009-01-14 4:59 AM
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2009-01-14 5:27 AM (#97467 - in reply to #97464)

Expert

What is the name of the tank sanitizer?.... Most of them say flush them into the tank with at least 5 gallons of water. Guess that would wash all the residue out of the pipes and into the tank. Sounds like that orange pack must have been full of.... LYE!!  That stuff will burn through a plastic pipe like a torch.

Everything you ever wanted to know about your "black tank"....    http://www.thisoldcampsite.com/This_old_campsite2/Black_Water_Tank.html

Edited by retento 2009-01-14 5:42 AM
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-01-14 9:02 AM (#97473 - in reply to #97464)

Expert

That's a really good link Gary, with relevant and accurate information. Thank you.

We've always used the blue liquid concentrate mixed with a little liquid dish washing detergent. Before our trips, we dump in a couple of gallons of water and add the chemicals. Before the tanks are dumped, we always add water to make sure they are at least half full. The tanks have always flushed clean, produced no odors nor have there been any mechanical issues.

We are careful to use "RV" toilet paper, after a friend experienced clogging problems in his dump valves, when using standard paper that didn't quickly decompose. When we were at Congress looking at LQs, one of the salesmen was using his toilet as a garbage can. Paper towels, cups and napkins were all dumped into the toilet. When I asked him about his activities, he replied that the next day he would be in a different part of the country, and was only concerned about how clean things now looked inside the LQ. I'm glad I wasn't the one to clean up that mess.

Gard

IcePonyGoddess
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2009-01-14 9:48 AM (#97475 - in reply to #97473)

Elite Veteran

Originally written by gard on 2009-01-14 9:02 AM
We are careful to use "RV" toilet paper

Use Scott's TP, it's what all the RV'ers use and sworn by. My rule for the RV potty is "if it didn't go in your mouth and out your body...it don't go in the potty!".

HA!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)